Windows 10 - serious question for the experts

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lostpassword, May 12, 2015.

1. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks to all the help I have had from this forum, I was able to download the right 32 bit version and install Windows 10 on my spare desktop. As I said before the installation went very well until it asked for a Microsoft Account, which I did not have. I created one on my other PC and started again. All went well until I started playing around with monitors and such.

I really wanted to get the USB to VGA device from China working (FLUSBVGA-1.1.302.0.exe). This had been working perfectly when the machine was on 8.1. I had to go back to the onboard Video rather than an ASUS card, but eventually I got it to work using the latest version above (it was working on 8.1 with an older version supplied by disc). This enables 2 VGA monitors to run, and I find it very hard to cope with one monitor now.

I then switched monitors over and could not get 2 monitors to work. Each would work one at a time, so were not faulty. Eventually I ran Killdisk again, and re-installed windows from the DVD.

It seems to me that any problem with 10 cannot be solved unless the drive is wiped and a fresh install is made.

I have mentioned the use of Killdisk before, (legally free for the basic version) but never had any reaction. In my opinion it is the most useful utility available, and I can never solve problems without a truly clean install. This also applied to 7 and 8.1. Always run Killdisk on a new PC supplied with OS to get rid of all the junk. This might help someone out there who is having trouble with 10, which I find very good once running properly. Have any of the experts managed to solve Win 10 problems without clean install ?, the repair option seems a waste of time to me.

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    this is a beta not a finish product.....theirs a lot of options that will not work and the older the machine u use to test win 10 the more problems u will see, upgrade is 50 50 it mite install with out any issues or it will give u lots of issues....i believe sense your writing on top of the old OS and improper drivers.....clean install is the best way to go.

3. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    alpha* lol keep up

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    basically the same thing....unfinished....to me is all beta until we get the finish product.

5. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    1st off you are not required to have a MS Account to Install, (yes, they want you to have one. click Privacy Statement then back then continue.... just like a Key you do not need one to Install, it is embedded.) & so will activate once the internet is linked in. Or you can simply disable the internet until the install is finished. then final reboot OK now install Internet Reboot and your Activated.

6. Gfnn

Gfnn MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    True. However, when I tried to install build 10074 without signing in the installer just crashed. o_O

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    that has nothing to do with not having a MS account.....could be a hardware issue or a corrupted copy.

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    If you boot your ISO, pressing shift+F10 will give you the command prompt where you can run diskpart, select disk 0, clean, exit, exit.
    Disk 0 is wiped, just continue with install. No need for 3rd party apps...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Kuantum Freak

Kuantum Freak MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Actually I had the same problem, and I had verified the sum check. I hope it is just a temporary issue.

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Killdisk use is pointless unless privacy concerns are involved.

Thera's no need to use it to do a clean installation and there isn't any need to format the partition as well.

To do a clean install all you have to do is to not choose the upgrade option.

Anything on your old system will be moved on the windows.old, perfect to get the data back w/o the need of a backup, good to restore quickly your old system in case something goes wrong on the new one.

11. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011

Only Windows and Windows related thing will be put in the Windows.old folder.
    It is better and easier to just once the install process starts to delete the drive and then let Windows install to make and format the drive.