Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week, Wave updates Start Rolling In

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AcuraTML, Aug 22, 2015.

1. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #21 bk109, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    So very true,but there's also another simple reason why USB/SDcard install media is really catching up these days - 8+ gig flash drives are dirt cheap these days (I remember the times when even the simplest,cheapest noname 128mb cost an arm and a leg :D)
    Edit: Whoa,I did a cursory Amazon.ie search and the prices for the brand name ones are WAAAY down (ie 8 quid for a 32gig DataTraveller G3/G4)

2. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Nothing but complete FUD here. Move along, nothing to see here. Close thread.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
    if you or ms think that people are willing to download 4-5gb for an update you are out of your mind. THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN. not even in the next years! not as long as windows itself is way under 4gb. not because of usb sticks or dvds. just because it does not make sense.
    i will get back to this as soon as the update comes out and post here. marked it as favorite

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    One other advantage USB drives have over CD/DVD media, is its doesn't degrade (or at least theres little sign of it) we've had name brand DVD's that were un-readable after only a few months

Great write up. :cool:

I don't think SD Cards will ever really be used as install media (recovery, maybe ???) as the only thing slower than reading form them is writing to them :p

Damn, I paid £4 each for 3x 2gb USB drives a couple of weeks ago. :weep:
    H/W limitation can't see more than 2gb :confused:

5. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #25 bk109, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Eh,SD's aren't that slow (if you go with an UHS-I/II card).. That said,I have to admit that I'm a fan of using SD cards for install media,because I tend to leave the card in the device's SD slot (or MicroSD for small form factor devices) for the added storage AND to have handy install media when things invariably go horribly wrong (that's especially trueif I'm condemning a device to the in-laws :D). Also I feel for you - I bought the 128gb for about 90 quid 4-5 months ago..

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    While what your saying is correct, its also very short sighted.
    When slow connections, high data rates, high data costs, constant updates or public perception turn people away from MS. Google and Apple products, see how quick all three companies change their policy's.

The end user has the same control over their network connections as they do over their OS.
    A very limited choice dictated by big corporations. Look through this forum and see what people want from their OS and see what their being given. Same thing goes for Broadband in most of the world, what people would like and what they're offered don't even come close. Just look at your own connection and compare it to what you'd like to have or possibly what you could afford.

7. dk2463

dk2463 MDL Senior Member

Jun 19, 2011
    so you are now on record stating that "updates" are to be twice the size of the actual footprint of a standard install.

8. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    be careful with them updates. latest updates enforces telemetry and data collecting when microsoft realized people were trying to disable them. i for one has disabled WU.

9. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

They have to be! to roll out the new versions every 12 month there will be at least 7 fresh (GA and Gold Ten Versions and some are a complete beast in other words you will be getting a brand new version like it or not, now depending where you live, if your on a turtle slow speed network, M$ or your Superbox store if you done the registration correct will be in contact to flash your device up for free under warrantee blaa blaa blaa that's what is in the worx

10. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

Thank you! really???

11. ashmicro

ashmicro MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Indeed. I have noticed this too.

12. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

I know that sillygoose

I am just pressing your botton

13. Eurisoph

Eurisoph MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Logically, this makes no sense...but we shall soon see. WU at the moment does not display the size of updates, so for persons on limited bandwidth this would be disastrous. Sounds nonsensical....but we shall see

14. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

that's all you can do, or start looking at Windows seven more closely or another alternative if you life in a place where your net is slower then a turtle in the hot sun