Windows 10 Slows down after a fev hours.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rab, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    I'm having this issue with Win 10.
    When just turned on/rebooted it works like a charm. Everything feels snappy and fresh. Then after some time things start geting sluggish. To the point a reboot is needed to get the wheels turning again.

The system I'm running Win 10 on is not starved on recources neither. 24 gig ram, Samsung 250gb SSD and a 400GB Intel 750 PCIe drive and a iCore 7 -6 core processor on a Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 board.
    Ive tested installing on either of the SSDs with the same behavioure.

First program to be affected is the browser. Doesnt matter if it's crome, firefox or ie11/12.

Even on new install whitout any software other than browsers. Win8.1 or Win7 does not show this behavioure, so I'm at a loss of what to do since I need win10 for learning purposes.

Any suggestions other than ditch win 10 is greatly apreachiated.

/Rab.

Sorry for all the misspellings. Didn't have time to fix them.

2. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Update BIOS to version 1901 for your Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 Motherboard.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would say: it's just a normal behaviour of Multitasking!

Really, check what all is running in background, close what isn't really used and recheck the speed!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    disable hard drive sleep mode!:mad:

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009

this is a Brilliant Statement, honestly

6. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #6 odiebugs1, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    Hey Rab.

You need to explain what you mean, is this internet speed or system, you said no software installed so how can you see if it's MS software or third party only.

So have you installed in Legacy or in pure UEFI, if in pure UEFI can you post the model of your GPU and it's VBIOS.

Can you tell us what driver you used when installing the Intel 750, because your UEFI does not say it has NVMe support, and you Q&V list for drives does not post any NVMe drives supported.

I found the NVMe support in your UEFI 1901 .cap, Asus doesn't have the identify listed, but it's there. You would think they would add the NVMe drives to the Q&V list for drives.

7. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    I found the culprit I think... As easy as a bad RAM-stick.
    Not all faults are Windows 10 related as it seems. never occured to me that it might be hardware. But I did add RAM at the same time I installed Win10, so the problem woudnt be in the previous installs, since the bad Hardware wasnt present at the time.

So to all of you who lent a helping hand. THANK YOU! Even if the fault was in the other end of the line (ie not software rellated).
    Unless I come back in the morning with new problems, this issue seems solved.

It seems faster... :p

/Rab.

8. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    It was general system degeneration. The whole computer bogged down, and that's rather symptomatic to a bad RAM when I think of it. Computer runns smooth with less memory, and at the moment thats fine. I'll RMA the bad ones.
    I'll post a complete list if the problem reoccures.
    Thank you for your help anyway.

/Rab.

9. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    You have a decent board, you shouldn't be adding sticks of RAM, only RAM kits. You can look at the Memory support and all you see is kits, there is a reason why you only use kits as adding stick can cause all kinds of problems.

10. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #10 odiebugs1, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    Not really, usually bad RAM will cause UEFI post problems, throw debug codes, haven't seen much of a bad stick allowing a system to run and then slow.

Thanks for the reply and the thanks, appreciated.

P.S. All you really need is 16g and remember make sure it's a kit and you can stay around 2400, as 3000 does almost nothing over 2400.