Windows 10: Telemetry & Application Data List

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Smorgan, Oct 8, 2014.

1. mdlf_efil

mdlf_efil MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    #41 mdlf_efil, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Any help running this script? I tried .bat lol srry i'm noob!

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Proberly a windows powershell script

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Yes, but that doesn't mean that there's nothing MS can do. They can stop collecting that stuff; at least on the RTM.

4. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    I think that things will change with the RTM. Let's hope that we will get an awesome new OS, after they got so much data from us.

:)

5. KOLANICH

KOLANICH MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2013
    I think that there was a secret court order to do this.

6. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    kinda flaky and unstable, when i have to do damn serious stuff like banking
    I boot a live 14.04 ubuntu linux, IMO the best thing to do

7. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    I already moved on ages ago to do my banking-stuff via my Lumia 920. As I have an App from my Bank it's easier and faster that way.

8. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    good idea i just got a samsung galaxy phone gonna start there too, my bank has a secure app too, I just checked
    thanks man

9. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Just a note on the hosts file. Windows applications check the hosts file before attempting to resolve host names using your preferred DNS servers. In other words, the hosts file resolves host names to IP addresses. The host file will not redirect one IP address to another. So adding a line like this does nothing:

127.0.0.1 29.34.167.230

Because applications do not try to resolve IP addresses to host names. Host names are user friendly devices that are easy for users to remember. Computers only use IP addresses to communicate.

If you look at example hosts files they always show something like this:

127.0.0.1 4affiliate.net

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. badboy77

badboy77 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2008
    #52 badboy77, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    i still dont get why i dont have any file on that directory (enabled show all files and disabled the hide protected files)

what's the name of the event on event viewer? i want to see if i really done something that disable the logging

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #53 Smorgan, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    (OP)
    Can I ask why we have to provide so much data?

I mean to say that Microsoft has a fundamental right to collect such a large amount of data is flawed. We should know up front what is being collected and not have to go through the EULA with a fine comb (which btw is not enforceable) to figure it out. I want to be know exactly what any machine is reporting in terms of data. I also want to be able to opt out of all of the reporting of data. What is wrong with any of that?

We are setting the precedence for the future of Windows so I find it skeptical that this won't be in the RTM.

Also it allows some shady legalities to take place in regards to the patriot act.

12. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    They may could have done it without so much auto-collected data, but then you would maybe get around the clock some pop-up's where you have to answer questions etc.

There is still the possibility to run the TP on a computer without internet connection, if you only want to have a short look into things.

If they still collect so much data with the RTM, then everyone has to make it's own decision if it's a problem or not.

13. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I assume all Homegroup, and any and all systems on that LAN (names/MAC Addresses/Routers/Switches yadda yadda McNadda) as well.

They will have enough ammo to block everyone LOL. Well anyone without enough foresight to isolate Win10 from their network and do s**tty things on it. lmao

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Agreed, totally. Really. btw I love that as#@... I mean avatar :D

15. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    It doesn't have to be popups.
    They could have things like the Customer Experience program that people opt into/out of.
    You are right in that when it comes time for the RTM, it's up to the user to decide.
    I think they could do a better job of differentiating terms of use and optional data collection.

If they hide behind the EULA come RTM, this sh** won't fly.
    Most people don't read EULAs and typically couldn't fully understand them if they wanted to.
    There was a video I saw on computerphile I believe where they were determining the average educational level of
    most of the readers versus the educational level to fully understand most EULAs and there was typically at least a 5-7 year gap.

16. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    They cannot hide behind the EULA. The EULA is unenforceable as I want to know what the product does.

Lets be honest given the amount of text in the EULA if I wanted to put mein kampf into in the general response would be:

"Accept" Accept" "O damn I clicked the wrong area"

Actually Murphy78 since the data collection is in the Error Reporting System of the operating system it has nothing to do with the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). That being said it means they would not need to ask permission.

17. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Well, you're right about the legal aspect, but I'm not entirely sure there are any laws against them collecting user data of any kind.
    For the still legal, but kinda bull-sh**ty aspect of their methods, they put the details in the EULA.
    It's just a way of letting the user know when they're getting crapped on.
    In reality, something like that should have to be done during the purchase, not after.

I could see potential lawsuits from this sort of thing.

18. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    I am back on Win 8.1, I was too uncomfortable using the TP. Too much data collection for me. If it was purely for enhancing the OS I have no problem with it but there is much more going on in the data collection in the TP.