Windows 10: Telemetry & Application Data List

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Smorgan, Oct 8, 2014.

1. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I agree with you. I think I've seen all I need to see of the TP and I won't run software on it due to the data collection. So I'm out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    I think that's the right way to do it if you are concerned.

Maybe I see it more positive, because I'm used to just the opposite when it comes down to improve a game, because they just hope that you get tired and shut up sooner or later.

:)

3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I have no problem with the Telemetry and the Application data stuff.

If they actually said that's what they were doing on the cover then it be like meh but not doing it. That just makes me curious about how much they are collecting.

(And makes me want to keep it on a VM)

4. xano

xano MDL Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Then, what if it's already too late and too much information and data has already been shared that it doesn't make sense to opt out of the preview anymore? We've been using it for a full week. They must have all that info from us already. Giving up wouldn't make sense. Just food for thought. Besides, there must be thousands using it a their full blown OS already.

5. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    The thing is, that if someone has really big concerns about such things or maybe is scarred that some not so legal things could be found on someones PC, then why install a TP in the first place or keep the PC connected to the Internet right from the beginning ?

I think it's a bit naive to think that we would get told everything upfront, because that's usually not the case.

Everyone has / had the option to wait for the RTM and some reviews afterwards, because if there is something like that going on with the RTM, then someone will find it and spread the word.

If you want to be one of the first people to be able to have a look at things, then you have to ask yourself BEFORE, if you are willing to take a risk to use something where you don't know what's going on in the background.

To cry afterwards or to keep using the TP and try to disable all that stuff is pretty pointless, if you only disable that functions, because you have concerns about your privacy etc. .

It's a different thing if you try to disable the stuff, because you like to figure things out and to share the findings.

;)

6. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Agreed....

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #68 Smorgan, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    (OP)
    I feel that we can just add a command to wipe the event logs occasionally while looking into the application data being transmitted. This will make it more transparent for what is going on in windows 10. I feel regardless that Microsoft should have been more up front about this as the finding was having to be done by looking through the EULA.

We need to strip done some of the features while not effecting the operating system functionality. This will require Virtual Machine testing (heh you didn't think I'd put it on a machine did you?). While doing so it will also reveal features that are not enabled by default in the operating system.

For once I can say that the entire purpose of this is for educational purposes to further what we know about the data being mined off the operating system.

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You know what you can do?
    use install_wim_tweak to unhide the packages, and then mess with them a bit, looking at the files and the manifests and such.
    er... wait... do we just need the bubble script for that? I'm a bit confused.

9. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I feel like we would have an easier time simply deleting the tasks in the task scheduler. We could also look around the WIMs to locate some of the packages as well using dism along with imagex. When the next preview comes out I can assist by getting this preview to upgrade to that as well. :)

I feel like I'd have more posts if I didn't tell them to set it to 666 originally lol

10. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Give it a shot... see if you can delete them.
    I imagine a successful removal of this stuff would involve disabling the services, deleting the tasks, and verifying the event logs to watch for errors.

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #72 Smorgan, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    (OP)
    The problem with watching the event logs for errors is that the OS itself is in Alpha status so we will be getting errors either way.

We can't disable services without hindering the functionality of the OS as a whole so we can go the network route. While also deleting tasks inside of the WIM which again does not hinder the functionality of the OS.

Aim to modify the hosts and certificate list which means we don't compromise the OS.

1. Replace the default Host File
    2. Delete some of the Tasks in System32
    3. Add the certificate to the revocation list

Ya this shouldn't be that difficult.

12. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    If you give me a single list of things that need to be done I can try to work it into a script and maybe we can have a prototype that we can modify for each build.
    I'm talking like an exact ip list, task names, cert download spot etc... I know people have linked to certain things and listed certain things, but I have no judgement when it comes to which ones are important to include or not.

13. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    This initiative of yours will be very appreciated by me and many other people, thanks murphy.

14. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #77 Smorgan, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    (OP)
    Lol I was thinking about scripting it up as well. Even though it would take some time as I would want to finish the previous stuff I was working on :p

15. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Oh great!!!! We can wait for you too :D

16. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm going to effort the latest deagles post about disabling the service, but you should still work on the blocking traffic portion that is less prone to borking a future update.
    I'll also look into the task names and try and make a list of tasks to disable with taskschd

17. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm actually not showing much in the way of scheduled tasks. It seems that it uploads and keeps track of these things on the fly rather than on a scheduled task.
    About all I could find were the CEIP tasks, but those don't do anything if you disable the CEIP in the registry.

I'll include a screen grab for the exact names should we need them later for any reason.

Attached Files: