Windows 10 Tweaks & Fixes

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Zardoc, Jul 17, 2015.

1. uaaysakk112

uaaysakk112 MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2018
    what's an 'autorun'? :)
    In task scheduler->task scheduler library->microsoft->windows->windows defender, there is nothing there.
    Anyway, it's not a big annoyance now because I just made the deny rule for smartscreen in my firewall permanent, so it won't ask me again.

2. Pir8pete

Pir8pete MDL Member

Nov 15, 2018
    is there a tweak to make the start menu like windows 7 ?

3. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    I'm using OpenShell on Win10 LTSC, have been since I started using Win10. Great little program to make things more classic, used to run ClassicShell on Win7. OpenShell has not given me any trouble in the least.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    OpenShell is just the community continuation of ClassicShell, after the developer stopped development and made it Open Source. Code-wise, it's still pretty much the same, apart from a few hotfixes.

5. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    ^ Trufax. There are a few noticeable changes but it's mostly the same as ClassicShell. I disable "Classic Explorer" and "Classic IE" and only use the start menu.

6. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    I actually like classic explorer a lot. It has some real handy tweaks like wider indents on sub-menus. I use explorer heavily for file navigation so I get unhappy when MS screws with it. Anything I can do to make it better is great for me.

7. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    I like some of Classic Explorers features like disabling bread crumbs and yes the wider sub-directory indents in the navigation pane are nice as well but it doesn't play nice with dark mode. It changes the font color in the address bar to black and there is no way to change it. ¡No bueno! If they ever add more options to the settings to change text colors and the ability to skin the toolbar and status bar, I'll install it, but until then I can live without it.

8. Zardoc

Zardoc MDL Addicted

Feb 7, 2008
    Updated OP. Will work on it from time to time. Some tweaks might not work with newer versions of Win 10. Be careful. :rolleyes:

9. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    I use a light mode so I never even knew there was a problem with that. Unfortunately it seems development is not all that active on OpenShell. Just hope it sticks around for the duration. I can't stand the Win10 start menu, totally retarded, OpenShell is my savior there.

10. sourojit0351

sourojit0351 MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2019
    The tips were pretty dope

11. sourojit0351

sourojit0351 MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2019
    No doubt there are various tweaks to fix this issue ;)

12. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    ok scan lasted 1 seconds. (plural wt BillGates that must be proprietary probably his trademark. so I'm gonna use it)

13. cunuhoujabsq

cunuhoujabsq MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2015
    Desktop. context menu. add cleaning: event viewer?
    thanks.

14. Thomas Dubreuil

Thomas Dubreuil MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    @cunuhoujabsq

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; #**************************************************************************
    ; DB01 ADD Administrative and System Tools to Desktop Background Context Menu
    ; #**************************************************************************
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools]
    "Icon"="imageres.dll,-114"
    "MUIVerb"="Administrative and System Tools"
    "Position"="Bottom"
    "SubCommands"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Component Services]
    "Icon"="%systemroot%\\system32\\comres.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Component Services\Command]
    @="C:\\Windows\\system32\\mmc.exe comexp.msc"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Computer Management]
    "Icon"="%windir%\\system32\\Mycomput.dll,2"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Computer Management\Command]
    @="C:\\Windows\\system32\\mmc.exe compmgmt.msc /s"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Defragment and optimize your drives]
    @="Defragment and optimize your drives"
    "icon"="%windir%\\system32\\dfrgui.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Defragment and optimize your drives\Command]
    @="C:\\Windows\\system32\\dfrgui.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Device Manager]
    @="Device Manager"
    "icon"="c:\\windows\\system32\\devmgr.dll,-201"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Device Manager\Command]
    @="RunDll32.exe devmgr.dll DeviceManager_Execute"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Disk Cleanup]
    "icon"="%windir%\\system32\\cleanmgr.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Disk Cleanup\Command]
    @="cleanmgr.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Disk Management]
    "icon"="%systemroot%\\system32\\dmdskres.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Disk Management\Command]
    @="C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\mmc.exe diskmgmt.msc"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Edit the system environment variables]
    @="Edit the system environment variables"
    "icon"="SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Edit the system environment variables\Command]
    @="SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Event Viewer]
    @="Event Viewer"
    "icon"="%windir%\\system32\\miguiresource.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Event Viewer\Command]
    @="C:\\Windows\\system32\\mmc.exe eventvwr.msc /s"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Local Group Policy]
    @="Local Group Policy"
    "icon"="%windir%\\system32\\wsecedit.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Local Group Policy\Command]
    @="C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\mmc.exe gpedit.msc"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Local Security Policy]
    "icon"="%windir%\\system32\\wsecedit.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Local Security Policy\Command]
    @="C:\\Windows\\system32\\mmc.exe secpol.msc /s"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Network Connections]
    @="Network Connections"
    "icon"="%SystemRoot%\\system32\\netshell.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Network Connections\Command]
    @="C:\\Windows\\explorer.exe shell:::{992CFFA0-F557-101A-88EC-00DD010CCC48}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Services]
    @="Services"
    "icon"="%windir%\\system32\\filemgmt.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Services\Command]
    @="C:\\Windows\\system32\\mmc.exe services.msc"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Task Manager]
    @="Task Manager"
    "icon"="%windir%\\system32\\Taskmgr.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Task Manager\Command]
    @="C:\\Windows\\system32\\taskmgr.exe /7"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Task Scheduler]
    @="Task Scheduler"
    "icon"="%windir%\\system32\\miguiresource.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Administrative and System Tools\shell\Task Scheduler\Command]
    @="C:\\Windows\\system32\\mmc.exe taskschd.msc /s"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    Disk Cleanup Context.png

edit: Posted at the same time --- Above post ^^ is more detailed and probably what you are looking for.

Disc Cleanup.reg (attached)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmd]
    @="@shell32.dll,-8506"
    "Extended"=""
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmd\command]
    @="cmd.exe /s /k pushd \"%V\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Disk Cleanup]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Disk Cleanup\command]
    @="cleanmgr.exe"