Windows 10 Upgrade from 7 Ultimate--Need Help Installing Windows Media Center

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by baron19, Jul 31, 2016.

1. baron19

baron19 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2016
    Windows 10 Upgrade from 7 Ultimate--Need Help Installing Windows Media Center

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10. I held off because of Windows 10's failure to include Windows Media Center. But due to the expiration of the free installation and having discovered your install of Windows Media Center for Windows 10 (WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0v2.1), I took the plunge last Sunday and upgraded one of my desktop computers that I use in my entertainment center. With that computer, the installation of your workaround for Windows Media Center installed and worked. It took numerous times unsuccessfully running the installer before it successfully completed, but it did successfully complete.

I then went to upgrade my personal desktop, which is a newer and more powerful version of the same Dell desktop upgraded in my entertainment center, discussed above. The the upgrade installation of Windows 10 worked fine, but I have been unsuccessful with installing your Windows Media Center. The installer would launch and go through its installation process, but end up being unsuccessful and rolling back the installation. Thereafter, each time activated as and administrator, the installer would launch, proceed with the installation over a minute or so, unsuccessfully complete and revert back. It would then refer me to logs and tell me that I could reboot and try again. I did try to reinstall again every day day and periodically throughout the day hoping that one of the installations would be successful, as had occurred with the other desktop.

Frustrated and thinking of anything that might work, I then attempted to install an earlier downloaded version of WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0v2.1that had a "_TestRights" and a "_TestRights_1" file as well as an "Installer" and "Installer_1" file, same with being 2 of the the "UnInstaller" file, thinking that that might solve my problem. The installation was unsuccessful. After the attempted installation and uninstallation of that earlier downloaded version, I was thereafter unable to launch and run the installer completely using the 1st version as I was previously able to perform. The command prompt installation would appear when launched as an administrator and flash a couple of times, but never actually populate an installer in the command prompt window and run as it had previously. I tried to do a system restore to a time before that installation so that I would at least be able to run the complete installer installation albeit unsuccessfully, but that did not work. At this point I cannot successfully launch the installer to even have a hope of completing a successful installation process. I am worse off than I was before.

I am sorry for such a long post, I wanted to try to explain what occurred in hopes that someone may have a fix. I am reaching out to whomever might assist me in successfully installing Windows Media Center in Windows 10.

Thank you for reading and whatever assistance you can provide.

2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Open your folder for v12 WMC. There will be a _TestRights.cmd there. Run as admin. Paste in path to uninstall.bat in the bin folder, and press enter. Let it complet uninstall. Reboot. Run the same _TestRights.cmd file as admin. When it successfully opens close it. Run installer.cmd as admin. It should complete.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. baron19

baron19 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2016
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I appreciate it!

4. baron19

baron19 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2016
    #5 baron19, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    (OP)
    Thank you for your reply.
    Just to be sure that I am correctly following your instructions, after I run "_TestRights.cmd", I paste "uninstall.bat in the bin folder" exactly as written after "C:\WINDOWS\system32>" in the cmd. prompt window?

Also for your information, I am getting error: 0x800f0922

5. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    No idea about WMC with win 10 but as I understand you are supposed to paste the path of uninstall.bat present in bin folder in command prompt window.e.g.
    C:\Windows\system32>"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Bin\uninstall.bat"

6. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Ask on the right thread.

Anyway you have nothing to paste.

Launch the installer as administrator, that's all