Windows 10 upgrade is FORCE installing to Win 7/8/8.1 PC's, without user consent!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MysTikAL3, Sep 6, 2015.

1. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    #121 oldsh_t, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    How do you like this??

I will try to make this short and sweet

>New Acer Desk top computer with Win8.1
    >Used "Killdisk" and wiped the whole drive out
    >Used Killdisk to make 3 new partitions
    >Installed Win7 Ultimate and Daz loader on "C"
    >Set auto updates to never check for updates!!
    >installed all updates till Sept 2015. (I have them all downloaded. All the NO NO updates removed. Installed all with .bat file OFFLINE)
    >Go ONLINE and manually check for updates.
    >A few NO NO updates are offered and I quickly hide them
    >All is well and no more updates out there.
    >Auto updates still turned off and will always remain that way.
    >Thought I was free and clear..... BUT NO
    >2 days later Checked the 2 remaining partitions, (which should be empty) and guess what I found. (see pic)
    >Two of them and almost the same size. and they are not even hidden "DELETE both" Did not even have to take ownership to delete.
    >Nothing on my "C" drive (hidden or not)
    >Nothing in the "Software Distribution Downloads"

Capture_001.jpg

UPDATE HERE:
    It has been brought to my attention by CaptainKirk1966, that the 2 file's in the pic above could very well be leftover from Win7 install and not from Win10. I have done some searching on my own and find that that could very well be the case just because of the time stamp. Since I deleted them right away and never looked into them and have since installed an operating system on both drives those folders got wiped for sure. I have tried a few recovery programs to see if I could recover the folders but that was a no go. I am about 90% convinced that they are Win7 related but not 100% because if they were from my Win7 install why were they put on 2 partitions and why 2 files to begin with. Sure when doing a clean install files are loaded to your computer, but twice?? On 2 different Drives?? In the many clean installs I have done I have never seen this before.
    Not trying to mislead anyone, and I am sorry if I did, but if I have make a mistake I like to own up to the fact.

2. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Oh YES to that , oldsh t.

I hear the sound of a nail being hit firmly on the head ..... :yeah:

.... BTW - great photo !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. r0adk1ll

r0adk1ll MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2015
    I'm new to the forum, but having read through all the posts in this thread, surely the 'elephant in the room' is the fact that the unwanted 'KB' description field is a blatant lie. It refers to a security update, if memory serves. Had M$ referred to it as "win10 pre-loader", or something even vaguely accurate, then all the bleating about users needing to check what they're downloading might make more sense.

I get my win7 lappy to tell me updates are available & go in to check what they are, but the descriptions are all so anodyne they are useless.

M$ isn't alone in this type of deception. Last time acrobat told me there was an update available which offered better security and stability I was not connected to the internet. So just the 30-day clock ticking over. Either that or my install of acrobat is psychic.

4. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    :bashtroll::negative::throw::rip:

5. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013
  6. MysTikAL3

Jul 15, 2013
  7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Upgrade???
    This is not an upgrade! This is an entirely new Operating System!!
    Peeps do not realize this simple fact, if they did, they would think twice before getting this "upgrade"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. darkodar

darkodar MDL Addicted

Feb 12, 2013
    Just install Windows 7 Enterprise or Windows 8.1 Enterprise :) these windows not have KB3035583.

9. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    ... or switch off Windows Updates if you dare or try another non-Microsoft OS. I'd recommend trying Linux ;)
    But that is another discussion; going on in the Linux sub-forum.

The fact that via WU we already got some "patches" and a prepared Win 10 installation (huge amount of data, but failed Win10 installation) shows me that maybe one day people have no other choice than "upgrade" to Windows 10. "Safety" might be a reason - but no user data safety, but safety by controlling users and their data.

Let's see what MS will do in the future. Personally, for a few months now, I am using dual-boot Windows 7 and Linux and I only go back to Windows if there really is no other way. Since I switched off Windows Updates, I'm then no longer bothered with Win 10 installation prerequisites, no matter if I decided to put them on the Ignore list or not (which didn't change a thing, before switching off WU they were installed anyways).

So: thanks but no thanks, Microsoft.

10. MysTikAL3

Jul 15, 2013
  11. oreo27

oreo27 MDL Member

Jun 18, 2009
    #133 oreo27, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  12. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    #134 oldsh_t, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    What MysTikAL3 has posted and you quoted to has nothing to do with your problem. Searching for updates can be a hit and miss time line. You might get through in 10 min. or it may take 24 hours but it will go through. Just set it to to check as MysTikAL3 has instructed, and wait it out.

What MysTikAL3 has posted is to protect you from the Win10 upgrade.

13. oreo27

oreo27 MDL Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Oh. I thought the script was still trying to do something. The pending updates were already there to begin with. Also, I had that setting set way before this entire spectacle from M$ due to bandwidth limits from my ISP. In any event, it looks like it did the job by completely removing the updates. It's a pretty handy script. It looks like there are no hidden updates on my WU control panel applet. Any chance I can automate hiding them as well?

Cheers :biggrin:

14. MysTikAL3

Jul 15, 2013
  15. SLICuser

SLICuser MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2009
    MysT
    I hate to say it the law suite does not have a ground to stand on (at least in the US courts). To get the updates you need 7SP1 and the 7SP1 EULA has binding arbitration and Class Action Waiver (just like 8 and 10). Hopefully the EU courts will slam them to the wall.

Now related to the drive by update to Windows 10. There is a simpler solution just uninstall IE. The Drive-by shooting is listed as a security update to IE. So when I wanted to actually install 10 on a device I had a lot of problems and had to use the ISO method to install as all my units have IE removed. The reason I downgraded back to 7 was the inability to eliminate IE from 10. My Sandbox and Firewall could block all the other Microsoft Malware like Cortana, but when you added the IE Edge stack the system could not boot (game-over wipe and reinstall safe mode didn't even work with IE Edge blocked.)
    Note: I find Firefox, Opera, and Tor (onion) more then enough browsers.

16. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #139 Mutoid, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    -my edit to the quote below -

I always thought it was impossible to uninstall IE from Win 7 .

Everything I have read says that it is an integral part of the OS and can not be removed.

My understanding is that the best that can be done is to disable it in "Windows Programs and Features" .

@ SLICuser - Can you please explain how you removed it ?

Many thanks

17. digital-user

digital-user MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2015
    But removing IE remove the internet options too, or?
    Don't know how the system handle the settings then because for example programms using the IE engine can be restricted with the IE internet options (best example: skype. Set IE to maximum settings and you get no more ads)

So in my opinion the safest method is to just block the IE.exe for users with group policy and set IE settings to maximum.