Windows 10 upgrade (Legit) from Windows 7 (Not so legit)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Adz6794, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Adz6794

Adz6794 MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2012
    Hi all,

I have been using a copy of W7 Ultimate with the DAZ loader quite happily for a while now, now though I have managed to get hold of a legit copy of W10 and serial key, this is courtesy of my university's Dreamspark account

My question is can I upgrade my non legit W7 with the new W10 ISO and then put the new key in once its done to make it legit? I know that the W10 I have is a "multiple editions" version and contains the Pro version which I believe the W7 Ultimate will upgrade to anyway.

I would just prefer to do an upgrade instead of a fresh install

Any help would be greatly appreciated and let me know if you need more details

Thanks

2. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    The key will not be needed (don't use it). ;)

1. Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 (start the upgrade within Windows 7)
    2. Sign into your Microsoft Account (associate it with Windows 10).
    3. Wait an hour or two after it activates
    4. Preform a clean install using the Windows 10 ISO (boot from it)
    5. Skip the key (you'll be asked 2, 3, maybe 4x. Skip them all)
    6. Assign your Microsoft Account

Your copy will now be activated and valid. ;)

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    If you have a copy with a legal key from a dream spark account, then you should not have to use the upgrade process. Just install 10 onto a new (or formatted) hard drive, use the key and your set to go

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Adz6794

Adz6794 MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks for the reply, a couple of questions though:

1) Is there anyway to do it without performing a clean install
    2) Does a clean install allow he system to perform any better?
    3) If I have a legit key why would I not try to use it?

Cheers for the help

5. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Would that not associate the Loader to the HWID for the activation though?

I read this as a Loaded 7 but wants to upgrade using a legal/legit/purchased key from the Uni.

So wouldn't it be best to first unactivate/uninstall Loader to get a non-genuine Ultimate.

Then upgrade to 10 Pro which shouldn't get activated as its not got a key/loader.

When 10 ask for a key use the one acquired from the Uni which will then associate the HWID to the key and/or account and therefore be a completely legal install.

o_O

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I've always preferred a clean install route personally, that way your not carrying over any unwanted things from 7, and wasted space. Back up your docs/pics/media files that you want and wipe the drive, install 10

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #1 and #3 = For now Microsoft isn't looking into the Windows.old folders. But that could change as they clamp down on pirates who upgrade.

#3 = I originally missed the part about you having a valid key. But do you really want to run the risk of associate it with your past Windows 7?

In your case, forget the upgrade. Just do the clean install #2 = Yes, normally a fresh install will start you off right.

8. Adz6794

Adz6794 MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2012
    After reading your comments I think I will do the clean install just so so there is no chance of it messing up my a shiny new and valid W10.

Thanks for taking the time to help everybody :biggrin:

9. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Don't waste your legitimate serial. You could use it later on another computer of your choosing. You don't really need it with your current setup. Just upgrade first from within Windows 7, check that Windows 10 is activated and then do a clean install of Windows 10, skipping every serial prompt (there are 3).

10. Adz6794

Adz6794 MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2012
    How do I go about performing a clean install after the upgrade? Can i trigger it from within W10 or will I have to boot to my W10 ISO disk?

11. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    reset or boot from dvd/usb iso dont forget to be connected to the net to keep your system activated