Windows 10: You'll get UPDATES LIKE IT or NOT – unless you have Enterprise Edition

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by coromonadalix, Jul 17, 2015.

1. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015
    You're right sir :)

I have to agree with you on that as it does nothing for me
    I just don't know how else to let my anger out :D

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    EnterpriseS is the LTSB
    Enterprise is on CBB

3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @mr_chaela: I don't feel that you would make any enemies for speaking your mind. Honestly, that's not what MDL is about.

There's been a fairly large problem with some people complaining about the content of certain threads. Complaints have been made to staff, and we were already advised that something will be done about it.
    I suspect that they're waiting for the RTM.

IMHO, there's no such thing as a useless thread. Even if all it does is make someone smile, it's served a valuable purpose. :)

But that's Me...Not everybody feels that way. :)

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Zardoc

Zardoc MDL Addicted

Feb 7, 2008
    Hey man, that's a good idea. You didn't create any enemies (at least not me) :tasty:

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Ok, back on topic!

In reality, the Enterprise editions are not free, they're sold to the corporate channel. Software for corporate's underlying different rules than for the private use.

To be able in an corporate network to switch off an automated updating of an OS is an essential feature, simply a MUST!

In Customers Networks, where we're using Windows, we use Enterprise only on Desktop Machines and all are having Updates switched off. Updates are deployed at Maintenance time via the LAN, which will be at an time the Machines are not in normal use! It's simply impossible to use automated Updates while the offices etc. on normal work!

For private use, the automated updates for most users is simply recommended. And I talk about the normal user's and not freak's like 'normal' MDL Members!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Go into your Bathroom, look at the mirror and shout to whom you see!

7. Zardoc

Zardoc MDL Addicted

Feb 7, 2008
    I still find it stupid to have to use Group policy when your a private user. Pushing sloppy updates on home users is counterproductive. That's why corporate are just starting to use Server 2012 because it's tried and tested :tasty:

8. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015
    And that is just not needed....

9. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015
    I didn't call him retarded, I called the thread retarded :D
    Okay fine I'll give you credit some of you find it informative?
    But it doesn't need a new thread. This has been explained many times already. In fact this was mentioned way back at ignite 2015 in May.

10. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015
    @OP
    Apologies to you if it sounded like I offended you. Dont mean to

It's just that this has already been mentioned a thousand times and doesn't need a new thread

11. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Going back on topic....

Is this the default behavior? I thought users on higher "tiers" of Windows could choose their WU Branch (for example, Home can choose Current, WIF, or WIS, while Pro can choose CBB, Current, WIF, WIS)

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Useless?

I'm not bothering to keep up with the off-topic mess that's the 10240 thread, and wasn't around early enough to catch the useful stuff. I stumble onto the forums now, and see this thread.

I'm aware of the auto/forced updates, but wasn't aware this was going to be kept into RTM (just thought it was some forced thing so Insiders could always give up-to-date feedback).

13. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015
    I already took words back and apologized to @Op and all those I offended...

14. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    This is the nature of forums, some ppl don't read things, can't be bothered to search for things and the same questions and answers are posted ad infintum.

I must have posted the same answers 25 times myself yesterday. "How do I upgrade to 10240" and variants of it was/is still being asked repeatedly, yes it becomes repetitive but as mentioned that is the nature of forums so live with it and learn to just go with the flow - such is life.

If you want to gripe about something, then gripe about posts like "It doesn't work!" - Yep, I saw a few of those type yesterday, the OP's must think we're all telepathic and instinctively know what they're talking about! :D

15. omgbbqit

omgbbqit MDL Member

Aug 14, 2012
    If you check under GPedit it specifically says that certain update options are Enterprise only (eg. `let me know there are updates and I'll decide`) which seems to be as close as you can get to disabling them. Whether killing the service completely is a solution on other versions is unknown.

16. blued

blued MDL Junior Member

May 31, 2007
    This is actually a very useful thread to me. Even if its been posted in the other thread, people may not have the patience to dig through 2200 posts just to find something like this. It is significant enough to deserve its own thread. One thing that bugs the hell out of me are those that liberally post the "thread closed" pic as if they have any authority over others. Just stay out of the thread if it you done like it ffs.

17. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #38 EFA11, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  18. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I think forums should reflect the way people interact. If there's a subject that's worth repeating over time, let it.
    Yes, a clean forum is nice, but that doesn't mean that uesful info should remain buried on page 550 of a 1500 thousand-page-long thread and NEVER be repeated again or else someone shouts "use the search button".
    This is a very interesting topic and deserves to be discussed on a stand-alone thread IMHO.

19. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    #40 bromanbro, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    So I'm running 10240 Enterprise (not activated, and on Insider Program atm, so dunno if other options become enabled when activated) but I don't see anything under WU in Settings for LTS, nor do I see anything above what I see in Pro. The most I see is "Defer Upgrades".

I'm looking under computer config>admin templates>windows components>windows update

There IS an option to disable the Windows Update Service (under "Configure Automatic Updates"), but that doesn't allow manually selecting what updates you want, nor is it akin to "just receive security updates".

Deferring Upgrades is Win10 Pro, not Enterprise.

I'm more interested in the ability to selectively download updates rather then disabling WU alltogether