Windows 10: You'll get UPDATES LIKE IT or NOT – unless you have Enterprise Edition

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by coromonadalix, Jul 17, 2015.

1. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    Ok, now they totally ruined the updates process.

Why not honestly renaming "Professional" to "Home Sandbox Ultra"?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Eh it's mostly an issue for businesses that will have to upgrade to Enterprise as they've ignored all non-security patches in 7/8.

That said, I expect non-Enterprise version businesses to simply not upgrade.

3. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    I don't see any professional feature having such a forced updatesystem,
    I already disliked it in moderUI but that's a windows 10 deathstroke for home and "pro" license holders.
    Even smallbusiness and oneman companies don't have access to enterprise version.
    simply dumb development.
    just keep it; I'll stick with windows 7 then.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Yup, MS aren't helping small businesses with this change...they have no desire for feature updates.

That said, they'll all stay on W7/8.

5. anoopspeaks

anoopspeaks MDL Junior Member

Mar 15, 2012
    This is very bad .use users internet at will, download gigs of updates without any notice , will MS pay for our internet bills

6. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    bro, do you even spam? FIVE pages of NOTHING.
    btw

7. dslr

dslr MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2015
    It's not about delaying or disabling updates, it's about not having a choice what to download and install. I don't want to install (hell, even download) ALL of the updates (yes, I want all security updates but not some of the recommended or optional) and that's why I'll never gonna use Windows 10!

8. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    There is a way to turn off Windows Update entirely in Windows 10. Trust me, I was doing it a while back with certain forced AMD GPU driver forced download and installs which would not work. So it can be done, pretty easily, it is not just a click of a button but only takes a min or two.

So I am not sure what all the belly aching is all about. So what it is not as easily done as previous versions of Windows. And yes I mean totally turning off all updates.

9. dslr

dslr MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2015
    But when you turn it back on, it'll download all of the updates. That's the problem, you can't choose what to download and install, only when to install (all of them)!

10. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    Well, it's not hard to understand what the belly aching is about: getting mandatory updates without a choice is dogfooding as I mentioned earlier.
    Disabling updates or forcing them while calling "windows 10 the most secure OS" ever is hardly realistic.
    Windows 7/8 updates management was fine. Why destroying it for non-business clients having even a pro version?
    That's indeed unprofessional.

11. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
  12. lex0

lex0 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    My biggest concern is that updates will come through designed to kill non-microsoft activation technologies and we won't be able to stop it and then our systems will be crippled or watermarked etc. Also, other individuals like programmers and software engineers that need to have complete control of their system state without having to disable updates and risk being insecure or vulnerable will now have to do that. I don't understand the logic behind this approach to Microsoft updates but it is a dealbreaker for me. Not only do I not want it for free, I certianly wouldn't pay to switch to a model where I have no visibility and everything is forced upon me. Sounds like Microsoft is following the lead of Apple now. I'm going to set up a WSUS server and see if I can use that as a way to filter updates to my system. Otherwise, it's definitely back to 8.1 until they change this. It's just too risky and I don't like being controlled.

13. dslr

dslr MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2015
    #53 dslr, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015

Yeah but it's also in Pro now, not just in Home version.

14. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    So I'll keep the free insider dogfood version but no upgrade,
    pawning a windows 8.1 pro wmc for windows 10 "pro" is not an option from my point of view.

15. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Back then even Pro had the same restrictions though AFAIK. People just didn't catch on and that's why I've said that you might be unable to avoid things like KMS protocol updates. That is unless you use Windows 10 Enterprise and the update isn't forced down your throat.

16. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I have always installed ALL the updates. I have always wanted to stay current with everything. I download them as soon as possible, and have NEVER EVER had ANY issues with updates.

17. lex0

lex0 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    Well for those people using loaders and the like to activate windows, installing KB971033 by mistake by not being able to hide it would have meant having their windows deactivated and a watermark saying they might be a victim of piracy. Wouldn't it be nice to continue to have control of updates like this and avoid this in the future?

18. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    When using Daz Loader there never was the need to hide the WGA update, it's needed to get validation :cool2:.

19. bay12

bay12 MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Hi all,
    i've spent some time to play with "configure automatic updates" in gpdit.msc to disable the automatic updates. Even if i set to "disabled", windows silently downloads some updates like drivers end security.
    The only thing to do is to disable the windows updated service.
    Does any of you had the chance to modify the values of "configure automatic updates" in gpdit.msc ?

thanks

20. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Problem with getting 'forced' drivers updates is.. it may break your system... sometime you want to keep your old/trusty/working drivers and not to update them.. this is a big bummer!