Windows 10: You'll get UPDATES LIKE IT or NOT – unless you have Enterprise Edition

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by coromonadalix, Jul 17, 2015.

1. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015
    #121 labvxe, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    It turns out it's not just enterprise that you have to have to stop updates

It's a certain SKU of enterprise that has the ltsb branch option

Extremely disappointed right now :weep:

Update: I'm targeting the Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N 2015 ISO
    But nobody's leaked it
    I have the KMS key for it though

2. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    If it's possible to disable windows update service in win10 pro, then it would be possible to manually run .msu updates right? (WHD)

3. omgbbqit

omgbbqit MDL Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #123 omgbbqit, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    Stopping Windows Update under Enterprise is as simple as using gpedit or simply killing the service or using the kill/reenable script posted elsewhere. The only difference with LTSB is that it can delay updates indefinitely.
    There's no way it is smart to keep updates turned off forever, and ifsomeone wants to do that they can do. They can also choose to turn them back on as they wish. Those are the options we have right now.

EDIT: and if disabling driver updates via System Properties -> Hardware -> Device Installation settings (the same as ever) isn't doing it, try going into the Devices side of the control panel or Settings and turn off the "automatically get updates/info/blah about this device" stuff too.

4. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    What do you mean it can be delayed indefinitely, are you saying enterprise cant?

5. costastou

costastou MDL Junior Member

Sep 7, 2014
    I am also upgraded from win8.1 pro with media center to windows 10 pro and yes the windows update don't give you any option do select what updates to download and install it install what it wants and not what the user want. but that sucks. example I don't want the new NVidia driver from wu I want the official one from NVidia but wu will download the latest from wu. hope in the future they will ad a selection to user

6. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015
    Already stopped updates with a metered connection and the Microsoft show/hide update tool. :D

7. ericgl

ericgl MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2011
    #127 ericgl, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Yeah, I figured this combo will work on Enterprise.
    When you say "stopped", you mean you can actually select which updates you want and when to install them?

EDIT: Doesn't seem to work! :mad:

8. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #128 Nucleus, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Nuk

Nuk MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2015
    Too bad the updates will be downloaded and installed first. You can only hide *afterwards*, which is not a real solution i.m.o. It's really a shame Microsoft has adopted this new policy and didn't make an exception for the power users.

10. tracit99

tracit99 MDL Senior Member

Oct 17, 2014
    #130 tracit99, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    If you are using Wifi you can stop WU from downloading by going to Settings>Network & Internet>Advanced options>Metered connection and set to ON. Run Show/Hide troubleshooter first and hide the unwanted update(s). Then go to Settings>Update & security>Check for updates. Sometimes WU may have already found update(s) before you ran the troubleshooter and you may have a Download option showing. If this is the case then you need to stop the wuauserv service and then hit the Retry button and let WU search for updates again. Not exactly the best solution, but it has worked for me.

11. Nuk

Nuk MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2015
    Compare that to the nice checkboxes next to updates in previous Windows versions... Too bad I'm not on wifi so that whole 'trick' doesn't apply to me anyway.

12. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    What do you mean the updates will be downloaded and installed first? :g:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Nuk

Nuk MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2015
    This tool doesn't allow you to select updates you don't want to download\install. Updates are always downloaded and installed. This tool only allows you to hide updates AFTER you've manually uninstalled them, so after the damage has been done.

14. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #134 Nucleus, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    How in this procedure are all the updates installed and then uninstalled after!

The updates you don't want to install don't even show when you check for updates - after you have ran the troubleshooter.

You have actually tried this troubleshooter - before you ran Win updates?

15. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Lol, Silverlight shows up. At least MS don't force that s**t on us...yet.

16. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    You hid it before you ran Win update right?

Can you understand what is nuk talking about - all the update are downloaded and installed and then manually uninstalled after?

17. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    I think that's what he's saying...but I don't think he's correct, as the troubleshooter SEARCHES for Updates, meaning it has to be availble as an update for it to be hidden.

I think Silverlight still shows up on it because it's considered a "recommended" update, which Win10 ignores right now.

I don't know about hiding other updates (like critical ones) before installing them first, though.

18. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Exactly yes.

Which is exactly what it does, at no stage have I had to manually un-install any updates as you suggest. They simply don't show as available when I check for updates, unless I re-run the troubleshooter and un-hide previously hidden updates.

19. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    How do I prevent hardware updates from being downloaded and installed? I already have the right NVidia drivers installed and do not want them to be messed up or updated with some crappy ones. How do I make that happen?