Windows 10: You'll get UPDATES LIKE IT or NOT – unless you have Enterprise Edition

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by coromonadalix, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Nuk

Nuk MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2015
    infoworld dot com/article/2951214/microsoft-windows/on-the-road-to-windows-10-problems-with-forced-updates-and-kb-3073930.html

"Also note that wushowhide only works after the fact: You can't pre-emptively tell wushowhide to block certain patches or certain groups of patches. You have to get stung first, then block a specific patch that has been manually uninstalled."

2. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #142 Nucleus, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    Ah I see, you and he (in that article) are talking about blocking troublesome driver updates/windows updates after they were installed and you manually removed them.

I mean that this update troubleshooter also allows you to block unwanted updates first. I'm using it on a clean install and stopped all the updates for Office components I don't have installed.

In that respect my original post is valid, you can block updates before they are installed. The original question I quoted in my reply was...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #144 Nucleus, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    is this a valid idea with regards to controlling updates..? --

block m$ update servers via hosts and then install updates manually via the msu files (and hope someone makes an update list)

5. intelarmamd

intelarmamd MDL Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Installing updates manually seems to be the solution for Managed Windows 10 systems.

6. Buckie

Buckie MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2012
    I thought you could simply op out of windows insider and select download but don't install or don't download at all ? They allow you to keep windows active too, as it's not part of being an insideder that allows you to get windows 10 it's your possession of windows 7 or 8 ???
    It's only if you stay in you'll keep getting the updates, including windows 11 .....

7. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I just noticed that 360 total security has a tool called patchup. Maybe it can be used as a replacement for windows update.
    It looks like it downloads and installs updates manually, and not with the windows update api.

8. damianfox

damianfox MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    This is what i'm going to be doing since I keep the Windows Update Service Disabled.

9. bozoderclown

bozoderclown MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2015
    I wonder when M$ screw up new updates like some time ago with win7 (disk was checking always during system boot up and second update which cause error with graphics driver)

10. lunario

lunario MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2012
  11. carphedon

carphedon MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2015
    I installed enterprise edition few days ago and i really like it. No problems at all, no automatic driver updates that crash system, telemetery can be disabled etc. I recommend everyone to install enterprise edition instead of pro, solves a lot of issues and complaints.

12. Nuk

Nuk MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2015
    The idea is that the driver isn't even installed in the first place, not to uninstall it AFTER it has already been installed...