Windows 11 Tweaks, Fixes and Modifications [Overview]

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Enthousiast, Jul 1, 2021.

1. patkhoo

patkhoo MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2015
    Thanks.. ^_^ Yes, K-Lite has been doing that for years.. I used to use CCCP myself for many years...

But for those who don't use K-Lite (or other such codec packs) but go straight to configure LAV + madVR ..

Or maybe it if was not multimedia related.. Maybe something about other types of files .. .cpp or .yaml or .arw or .webp or ...

I think in Win 10, you could set "all the extensions" that X/Y/Z app supported in a single go. I know Win11 doesn't do that anymore, a concious decision on MS' part. But is there some other way that we can do something similar?

2. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    K lite have mad VR too
    There is lot of options to choice
    Try them
    In this win 10 situation
    This best tool To configure all one click

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. patkhoo

patkhoo MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2015
    Yes, I know about that. And I can always go to Default Apps choose MPC-HC, or Chrome, or Nitro PDF, or etc etc etc and choose them as default for their supported file types. Or use a codec pack like K-Lite.. Or I can just wait and set the default for any file type I've never used before whenever I've opened it.

I'm just saying, when you add it up, it takes a lot of clicks.

Even for Chrome for example to be set as the default browser. Set it for .html, .htm, .svg, .webp, http, https, mailto ..

Ultimately .. "Microsoft failed to mention why it removed the option to set an app as the default for all supported file types and links, just like before. Even a "select all" option when configuring defaults for an app would be sufficient to resolve the issue."

So, I'm just wondering if there is an easy (easier) way to select a whole bunch of file types, protocol, etc and set their default app to so-and-so in one go in Win 11.

I will probably give the group policy default apps xml method a try later and see if that is workable...

4. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    I had tried this method to have the Windows 10 capture tool (and not to have the Capture service, etc ...) But it did not work

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JuliusB

JuliusB MDL Member

Feb 25, 2018
    hello;
    There is no reason for it to not work.
    (These 2 files are in Windows 10)

upload_2021-10-17_11-0-47.jpeg

6. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    I'll re test, thanks

7. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    #808 Dark Dinosaur, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Original thread Here.
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...ndows-11-built-in-chat-app-in-settings.84235/

Remove Chat / Widget From Taskbar & Settings
    with help from :: @crypticus @milkom

Code:
    :: Remove Chat
    >nul 2>&1 REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /f /v TaskbarMn /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    >nul 2>&1 REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Chat" /f /v ChatIcon /t REG_DWORD /d 3

:: Remove Widget
    >nul 2>&1 REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /f /v TaskbarDa /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    >nul 2>&1 REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Dsh" /f /v AllowNewsAndInterests /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    >nul 2>&1 REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Feeds" /f /v EnableFeeds /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    >nul powershell -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass -command "Get-AppxPackage -Name *WebExperience* | Foreach {Remove-AppxPackage $_.PackageFullName}"
    >nul powershell -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass -command "Get-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online | Where-Object { $_.PackageName -match 'WebExperience' } | ForEach-Object { Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Online -PackageName $_.PackageName }"

8. alexbokor40

alexbokor40 MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2018
    I tried to add in the registry; -Open Start in All apps by default;
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ StartPage] "MakeAllAppsDefault" = dword: 000000001
    It doesn't work. Does anyone have a solution ??? Thank you

9. Xtreme21

Xtreme21 MDL Addicted

Jun 21, 2021
  10. dany0071199661

dany0071199661 MDL Member

Oct 5, 2021

Attached Files:

11. KleineZiege

KleineZiege MDL Expert

Dec 11, 2018
    we are already changing so much on windows 11, maybe it would have been better to stay on windows 10.
    msft would have been better to take a different path

I'll be glad when the new LTSC arrives

12. Zardoc

Zardoc MDL Addicted

Feb 7, 2008
    You assumed right. :cool:

13. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    Will try