Windows 2008 Server + SLIC activation or activation at all...

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by stimey, Jul 20, 2008.

1. sisith

sisith MDL Novice

May 25, 2008
    Do these methods get rid of the trial text in the lower right of the wallpaper when changed to anything but the solid backgrounds?

2. buggernot

buggernot MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2008
    I'm gonna say yes because I didn't see any of that text when I used it. But then again, I didn't see the text there to begin with, so I don't know if it got rid of something that wasn't there to begin with.

3. Heidegger

Heidegger MDL Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Does anyone know for sure that Vista/2008Server actually uses the bios date when calculating trial time, or does it measure actual operating time (like the DisKeeper trial software)?

Also, does anyone know if there's a public KMS server operating for 2008 Server?

4. keyyou

keyyou MDL Novice

May 13, 2008
    NO.
    You must download the patched user32.dll.mui file to get rid of that text (Google it) :cool:

5. RomanS

RomanS MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    On my machine no delay at all, but my grace period hasn't expired yet.
    As for the 3 years, I tried before and it showed that the grace time had expired, the same prompt after setting the 3 yrs. advance back.

6. MarcusT

MarcusT MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2009
    I've recently started experiencing problems with Windows Update not functioning at all (displaying "Code 80070422: Windows update encountered an unknown error") and preventing me from installing .MSU patches that I need, which displays this error when I attempt to install them:

---------------------------
    Windows Update Standalone Installer
    Installer encountered an error: 0x80070422

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

This then led me to the "Windows Update" service in "Services", which seems permanently stuck on "disabled" - if I try to change it to anything else it just goes back to "disabled", and if I try to start it manually it says:

Services
    Windows could not start the Windows Update service on Local Computer.

Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

I think that this is because in the time between me setting it to "manual", hitting "apply" (to enable the start/stop buttons) and then clicking start, it has flipped back to "disabled" again. Note also that this is the same error text as with the MSU, so I figure this must be the right track.

So the question is why Windows Update is behaving like this, and I haven't been able to find anything about it online, so I thought I'd post here.

I'm not sure whether the removal of the SLLUA.exe, slui.exe, and sluinotify.dll files as documented in this thread has anything to do with it, as it was working fine until recently, but because I don't know at what point it stopped working, I have no idea what caused it.

I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on this...?

Also, though I did originally let the script run and create the "backup" folder containing those files, I think at some point I must have deleted the folder without realising that I might need the files, and indeed I would like to try restoring them to see if it makes everything work again... could someone be kind enough to zip/rar up those three files and upload them somewhere so that I could try to restore them?

Thanks very much! And HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)

7. MarcusT

MarcusT MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2009
    Quick update...

In a fit of madness I installed the SP2 beta without taking a backup first, but fortunately all went well, and to my delight I have found that the updates I was trying to install are included in SP2 so the software I wanted to run (which required the updates first) now works! Hurray!

However, Windows Update still doesn't work at all...

Answers on a postcard please! ;)

8. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Yesterday i've tested the activation tips for Windows 2008 Server.

But i run in the same problem as described on the first page.

After doing the steps, WS is rebooting.

After entering my password, the server prepares my desktop and logs me off again. That can be reproduced until i gave up. No way to enter the desktop.

Any ideas?

9. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    *push*

Any ideas?

I've tried it this day in a Virtual Machine.

Replacing the slvc.exe, deleting two other files.

If the date is withing the trial period, everything works fine. But if i changed the date of the machine 6 months ahead, i'm not able to log in.

Only safe mode is working.

10. TurtleTech

TurtleTech MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2009
    This still working>? I'm getting WGA alerts and haven't update the machine via windows update on 2008 enterprise.

11. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    The only safe way I know is to have a machine with a BIOS that can be easily moded and do the SLIC method.
    I just did WIN2K8 Enterprise SP2 first time a week ago AFTER inserting SLIC in the BIOS and is ultra genuine and activated FOREVER.
    The drama are machines with BIOS that are hard or are not in BIOS chips (example professional REAL servers whereby the BIOS is loaded in a partition of the hard drive, like HP COMPAQ ML 370 series, so I have not seen ways on this).
    "Friendly BIOS to us are AMI,AWARD and now PHOENIX can be done.
    INTEL is an ultra pain in the proverbial.

Hope this help