Windows 2012 Storage Server/Core & MediaSmart Server

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by rkm, Mar 8, 2013.

1. rkm

rkm MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2012
    I wanted to test the 2012 Storage Server edition to see if it would be a very streamlined, optimized replacement for Windows Home Server (WHS).

Once I installed it, I realized I could not activate using KMS options.

I spent about 3 hours searching the forums and reading everything I could find on KMS, Deltas, etc. Deltas didn't work for me, and I thought the SLIC options did not work for 2012, so I initially ignored that option.

Eventually I learned that the Dax SLIC option works great for this solution.

I was successfully able to patch the BIOS and install the OEM key (Dell/Dell + Storage Server Standard) for a MediaSmart Server EX485.

I thought I'd post my experiences to save others from spending the same amount of time searching. If you're interested in installing a CORE version of Windows 2012 Server (Essentials, Storage Server, etc) -- anything that cannot be activated by a KMS server, and you're running a MediaSmart server box, the current Daz loader appears to work great.

Good luck with your WHS upgrades!

2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    As someone who is new to essentials, is it worth upgrading from other ms os to use this as a server.

Do the media functions work well on it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...