Windows 7 and Java

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by akritasge, Nov 3, 2009.

1. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Silverlight is a new technology. It is becoming very popular. Hopefully it will kill Flash in near future just like .Net is slowly but surely killing Java. Microsoft rocks!!!

2. buzz123

buzz123 MDL Junior Member

May 9, 2009
    JAVA (in this sense) really IS a virtual machine...

When a JAVA program (source code) is compiled into object code (called "P" code for JAVA) it is meant to run on the "virtual" JAVA machine... Therefore, this code can run on ANY target machine that has its own JRE (JAVA Runtine Environment). The JRE is actually a coftware emulator (or translator) that can run the native P-code on the desired platform...

What this offers the JAVA developer is a means to distribute a SINGLE set of compiled binaries to ANY computer that supports JAVA. Unlike (for example) a normal program where you might need a different version for Windows or MAC, the JAVA version runs ANYWWHERE.

The JRE for each machine (obviously) is different... It translates from JAVA to the native platform, but is installed ONCE per machine.

After that, ANY JAVA program can be run on the target virtual machine!

Make sense?

3. buzz123

buzz123 MDL Junior Member

May 9, 2009
    #23 buzz123, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    Silverlight is Microsoft's replacement for Adobe Flash as it performs many of the same functions as Flash...

It really has nothing to do with JAVA...

The .NET issue is a little different since .NET is really a set of tools for increased developer productivity...
    JAVA is all that PLUS a means to distribute portable code...
    (See my prior post)...

4. ennio

ennio Guest

Of course not.

5. ennio

ennio Guest

I know they are not the same. Java is a Virtual engine and Dot has JIT compiler, but very similar for me.

Any info on J#? I never heard that it was widely used.

6. ennio

ennio Guest

To buzz123 and pezzonovante.

Why there is no support for x64 - Flash and SilverLight?

7. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    #27 Gethsemane, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    .NET and Silverlight are Microsoft's way to dominate most of the computer user market. It basically gravitates everyone to instead use their own platform for web content. Silverlight isn't universal like Flash is for Mac/Linux/Windows/etc. And .NET is Microsoft only as well. Who knows what will happen. Wouldn't be surprised if the European Union kicks Microsoft in the balls again with going after them about this.

But on a second note this could slap Adobe in the face and cause them to develop Flash into something even greater. Same could be said about SUN. Though aren't they due to be bought out by someone? Least I've read articles and rumors before, just don't feel like googling.

There IS x64 support for flash on Linux, I do know that for a fact.

8. ennio

ennio Guest

I hope they would develop flash for x64 IE. There is no reason not to do that.

9. jjtricket

jjtricket MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    If you find ie slow to open, try this

Just updated to jre-6u17-windows-i586 using windows 7 ultimate. IE8 is very slow to open. Went to tools, manage add-ons,

go to Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper and disable.

Problem solved!

10. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    #31 akritasge, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    (OP)
    :confused: This is what I did, but I do not know how this will influence the operation of IE in case that some site will ask for Java in order to run.
    In VISTA there is not such a problem.

11. ESC 1000

ESC 1000 Guest

Is not right first uninstall old java version, then install new version

12. jjtricket

jjtricket MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    Correct, uninstall the old version, install the new version. The word upgrade probably should not be used in this case.

13. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    :eek: Unfortunately, even though Java 6u17, the problem insists.

14. ESC 1000

ESC 1000 Guest

hold on your Keyboard the winflagkey key and then press the R key
    then type: msconfig and then enter key,
    see with java prog's run at your autogo, more then one?

15. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007
    There is only one record of Java(TM) Platform SE 6U17 in the "Startup" Tab of System Configuration window.

16. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG MDL Novice

May 31, 2008
    is that just me? both u16 and u17 act normally for my Win7 x64, ie8 32bit. I use java daily for stock realtime quotes.

p.s. I use offline install file only

17. akritasge

akritasge MDL Member

May 25, 2007