Windows 7 and Ubunto 9.10

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wyrman, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Ultimate edition is AWFUL. The best Ubuntu based distro is probably linux mint.

2. Bagheera

Bagheera MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Don't start a flamewar over distro's here! Just point out there are different distro's and even if you think its a awful one.. others could disagree..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bagheera

Bagheera MDL Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

That attitude sucks, just give the information requested or stay out of the conversation. How do any of us learn if we don't ask questions.

5. Pikey

Pikey MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I'm dual booting with Linux Mint here .. lovely stuff!

I always think it's best to use a 2nd hard-drive for this sort of thing if at all possible .. that way you can experiment as much as you like without accidentaly deleting anything on your main (windows) partitions!

For example it's not always made clear that you should have a separate swap partition in linux installs .. that you can also put your /home folder on another partition is another wrinkle that new users don't know about ..

Of course I'm a new user myself so I may have got this slightly wrong .. is there a definitive guide about this sort of thing?

6. moonsun

moonsun MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2009
    :)This is what i have all together:
    Windows vista ultimate 32bit.
    Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit.
    Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
    Ubuntu linux 9.10.
    All are working well without problems.

7. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    I apologized, I was just a bit annoed because he was displaying signs of ignorance, hence my comment.

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I would suggest the standard ISO from wither Ubuntu or Kubuntu...The bloated ultimate may give you some issues you are not equipped to handle right now...The official release is likely much more stable...maybe play with ultimate after the initial Linux "fuzz" is gone and you have a better clue as to the possible configuration dilemmas..

Each Linux flavor has its followers, and they can be catty and flame happy..you need thick skin dealing with some users, so take something from every comment..good or bad. You will learn some thing you want to do..and you will learn a TON of stuff you dont want to do.

-Enjoy the journey!!!:D:D

9. myamar

myamar MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I don't like Ubuntu Ulatimate edition as well but it doesn't mean that somebody else couldn't like it. But in my opinion the ebst way is to start with "proper" Ubuntu ISO, then if you learn you can try whatever you want to. For me, Ubuntu Ultimate just has lots of unnecessary crap in it.... I am sure after couple of weeks of using standard Ubuntu ISO you will try other distros. But this one , in my modest opinion, is the best for start :)

10. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

We are all ignorant................ of something.

11. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Ok when Linux is installed just got to ask for a COSTSNOTHING 2.1 bios mod to activate, the gurus at MDL can help :D:D:D

12. wyrman

wyrman MDL Member

Nov 21, 2007
    This has gone way to far.
    I don't see where this comment was disrespectful at all. I sure wasn't meant to be.

13. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    It was just a bit arrogant is all, or atleast it seems so. You just say "In English bud?" rather than actually asking a proper question.

Never mind :rolleyes:

14. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Or just add the xtra "crap" himself........:cool::D

EDIT: Ignorance of Linux is not an issue to be ashamed of..the fact he want to try a distro that wont overload him is admirable...know your limits....This is something others have an issue with as well..:)

15. myamar

myamar MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Very true :D But with proper Ubuntu ISO he will at least learn how to add those "craps" :cool::D

16. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    agreed. But to be honest even "normal" ubuntu install has lots of unneeded crap so... :p

But yea. I think it's good for first linux install. Pretty userfriendly even for linux noob. Later you can compile own kernel, uninstall/install stuff u need and maybe even try other distro if you feel ubuntu is not good enough for you :cool:

17. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Mandrake/Mandriva used to be pretty good too.

And SuSE is nothing to scoff at either.

But for Linux newbies nothing beats Ubuntu or derivatives like Mint.

They really did a great job at making it easy so thats what i would recommend too.

If only Windows had something as great as apt-get...