windows 7 clean install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by grimmjimm, Sep 16, 2010.

1. grimmjimm

grimmjimm MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2010
    A couple of weeks ago i downloaded win 7 from Digitallife, and i had no problems with it.When i installed win 7 I installed it on top of XP pro. two weeks later
    I decided however i would format my HD and do a clean install.
    So far so good, when therse win 7 disk came to the install screen, it asked me to point it to the location of the drivers. (what drivers ) i did not know it needed drivers to install, and which drivers,it didn't ask for named drivers. Whithout
    drivers the install stopped. what i want to know is what drivers does win 7 need
    to do a clean install, and where can i find them

2. jsmithy

jsmithy MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2010
    Most of the time drivers requested at install time are the Windows 7 (x86 or x64, depending of what OS architecture is installed) for the drive's controller. Take a look at your mainboard's book. It should tell you, if not integrated into the chipset, who made it. Go to the manufacturers site and download the driver.

If the controller is integrated into the chipset, do the download, but for the chipset (if no controller driver is available).

If Windows does not have this driver, can't find the disk and obviously, can't install.

This is rarely the case with the video drivers, but it could happen.

Don't rely on M$ drivers, signed or not, use the manufacturer ones. M$ drivers are usually older and more buggy. Only use M$ drivers when you can't find W7 compatible by the manufacturer of the hardware. Do a little more work, you won't regret you did.

Best regards :)

3. Michelle68

Michelle68 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Since you didn't mention the make or model of your PC I'll guess and say it's an older laptop?

Some laptops,like my old Toshiba S100,needed the Toshiba SATA/Raid driver to be loaded at the Install Driver/Format screen in order for the hard disk drive to be recognized by the Windows 7 installation.

Go to your PC's manufacturers website and see if there's a SATA/Raid driver for your model.

Older laptops need the driver on a floppy disk because they don't see a USB Flash Drive at the installation sceen.

If the model does recognize a USB flash drive then you can install Windows 7 from USB and also have drivers on a USB flash drive.

My new laptops don't have this issue.

They came setup in the bios as ACHI.

They have Intel chipsets.

At the Driver/Format screen I install the newest Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver(64bit in my case)that I have unpacked on a USB flash drive. Installed is the chipset SATA/ACHI driver.Newest version is 9.6.5.1001

After Windows is installed I install the free Revo Uninstaller program and then the newest Intel chipset driver now at 9.1.2.1008