Windows 7 Editions removal related question.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Deleted member 1032214, Feb 26, 2018.

I want to remove all the editions and only want to keep ultimate.
    but i also want ultimate entry to appear in windows 7 edition selection in installation stage.
    i've tried wintoolkit, winaiomaker, ntlite and same result every time, i cant view ultimate entry at edition selection stage,when we install windows 7.
    that screen windows edition selection screen just does not appear.
    fyi i've deleted ei.cfg file.
    any solution?
    thanks.

1. aquarius84

aquarius84 MDL Member

Oct 3, 2012
    if you delete ei.cfg then ALL Editions are enabled, so this is the opposite you want.
    anyway... can you explain please the meaning of a Select Edition screen if you have only 1 edition??
    maybe the only solution is to make a 32&64 bit Ultimate iso with WinAIO Maker

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #3 Enthousiast, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    I can't get the single index to show during setup in any way, when it is a 2 index iso it will show them but not with just one index.

How to create an Ultimate only install.wim:
    For x64 iso:
    Code:
    dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"x:\install.wim" /SourceIndex:4 /DestinationImageFile:"y:\install.wim" /Compress:max /checkintegrity
    For x86 iso:
    Code:
    dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"x:\install.wim" /SourceIndex:5 /DestinationImageFile:"y:\install.wim" /Compress:max /checkintegrity
    Replace the original install.wim with the new install.wim.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Open the install.wim/esd using 7zip and browse to "install.wim/esd\windows\setup\scripts" and look what is inside.
    Or check the "iso:\sources\$OEM$\$$\Setup\Scripts" folder for it's content.

Or check if there is an autounattend.xml file is present on the iso.

4. actually i'vent downloaded it yet, and right now my internet is not allowing me to download big files.
    but i've used team os iso before and and i can confirm that in $oem$ there is nothing related to this, may be its in the auto autounattend.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  6. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    That's a useless mouse-click/key-press right there.
    May I ask what's the actual point in displaying the one single edition on an edition SELECTION screen?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. I'm the technical support for my family and friends,they ask me for iso's and i'm making it for them, it would be nice if ultimate edition appear on the list, so they know what exactly they are installing.

8. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    That's what i was about to tell him but if you think about it, it has the advantage of showing him the exact windows edition that he's about to install.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    :D is it not just as easy to write windows 7 ultimate sp1 on the dvd.

10. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    yeah unless you write the wrong edition on the DVD :D

11. hi @Enthousiast i asked here bcoz i thought maybe i was doing something wrong in the edition removal process.but now i know my process was right.
    but if it is not too much to you, could you extract the only edition listing part in autounattend.xml i'll appreciate it. i understand eula shows the edition, but edition listing window also shows additional important info like architecture and last modified (slipstreamed) date.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That iso was highly homebrewed, used rt7_builder, the setup screen looks not original but from windows 8.

13. Okay then, no problem. but if you can get it in future then make sure to post it here. thanks :)