Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Tihiy, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tihiy

Tihiy MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2012
    View attachment 16455
    I'm back and RTM fixes are ready. As you can see taskbar and start menu will be a-bit-transparent. Glassy taskbar still will work in RP and should work in RTM too in case someone manages to port aero glass to RTM. I hope new version will be soon with more fixes and features.

2. Hunk_4TH

Hunk_4TH MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    What about running Windows 8's explorer in Windows 7? I really like the whole ribbon feature. Better Explorer works but is very buggy :( Anyway sorry for getting a little off topic.

3. denzel

denzel MDL Member

Aug 24, 2009
    really amazing news :eek:

:worthy:

4. eus

eus MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2012
    I like,
    so, this is a little different a theme, but basically is. I like more this Start, good job, i don t see way need a apps in start, there is so many many software freeware beter to do job with more options, view, edit, pdf, music, video, well, you know.
    :worthy:
    :tankyou::tankyou::tankyou::tankyou::tankyou::tankyou::tankyou:

5. vlad2989

vlad2989 MDL Novice

May 4, 2011
    Great news, Thanks, :) can we have updated change log and to-do list in the first page please ? anything else fixed ?
    You need your own site for this, i think your Patch is the ultimate Cure for Windows 8,

Thank you so much !

6. vlad2989

vlad2989 MDL Novice

May 4, 2011
    is there a way to change user profile pic without going in to Metro Control panel in RTM ?

7. anti-t

anti-t MDL Junior Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Great work ! Your patch remove all metro crap out there ! this is quiet amazing, no more f**king slide bar on the right, no more little "hot corners icons", start menu is back and boot straight into the desktop... I guess micros**t is pretty angry now and may release a "fix" because you just screw up their plans ! they may also send a few ninjas on you, so take care !

Anyway I've just installed the rtm in vmware, too much bloated services running and M$ spy software here, I'll have a great time cleaning all this mess :mad:

:yeahyeah: directory opus rulez

8. plnet

plnet MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2012
    #88 plnet, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
    if you're using Microsoft account, you can update your avatar online on live.com

@Tihiy or who knows: how do you apply this update when it's out? will you need to get a clean explorer.exe and apply the new patch to it, or can you patch the already patched file from previous version?

9. vlad2989

vlad2989 MDL Novice

May 4, 2011
    And if I use Local account ? Coz if I remember right it doesn't have a link to it under Manage users in Control Panel...

10. Rand

Rand MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2007
    You can't, it's been removed in the desktop control panel.
    Your best bet is to look around for a separate application that will do it. If there even is one... as theirs obviously never been a need for it before.

11. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    #91 palbertsma, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
    Is this still the most updated way to reach the result as depicted in the last picture beta3rtm.jpg?

If not: is it possible to mention the differences between the first post and the last solution, or to update post 1?

Thank you very much!:biggrin:

12. LoRd1N

LoRd1N MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2011
    wow thats amazing thx for your good work

13. Tihiy

Tihiy MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Beta 3 released - attached to first post
    - RP: taskbar is properly colorized;
    - RTM: taskbar is properly colorized; taskbar and start menu are translucent;
    - Fixed last task in group not painting correctly on taskbar.

When upgrading, you must first run patchex7 and select "8", then re-logon in order to be able to replace files. After replacing files, run patchex7 and select "7".
    I hope i will have more time for fixes soon enough...

14. highend

highend MDL Junior Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Should this work with other languages than english? I tried it with the german version (had to use C:\Windows\de-DE\explorer.exe.mui) and after patching and relogon I get a black screen... :)

15. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Thank you very much for updating; I'am still considering, doubting if I try this: it is a profound operation, not without risks! Would creating a restore point and restoring if necessary be enough to completely undo your patch (if undoing your described way would fail anyhow)?

Please, try to convince me!;)

Update: same question as above: is your patch language-dependent?

16. vlad2989

vlad2989 MDL Novice

May 4, 2011
    Can any or all of them be fiexd ? if Yes Whats next on your to do list Tihiy ?

Thanks again for great work !:worthy:

17. Tihiy

Tihiy MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2012
    They're all on, missing functionality is my priority. Dual taskbars and launching Metro apps likely won't ever work.
    It's proof of concept but it won't hurt your system.:bicycle:
    It should work with all launguages. You get black screen if mui file doesn't load. Make sure you placed it correctly, for example c:\explorer7\explorer.exe and c:\explorer7\de-DE\explorer.exe.mui

18. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Thanks for replying! Only one question left: would restoring undo the patch - if it were necessary?:dunno:

19. highend

highend MDL Junior Member

Oct 5, 2008
    That's what I've done.

Folder structure after copying it to Windows 8 RTM:
    C:\explorer7\de-DE\explorer.exe.mui
    C:\explorer7\explorer.exe
    C:\explorer7\patchex7.exe
    C:\explorer7\wrp32.dll
    C:\explorer7\wrp64.dll

I run the C:\explorer7\patchex7.exe (with admin rights), hit 7, y, y

I'm getting logged off afterwards. I logon and get the black screen...

20. Tihiy

Tihiy MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2012
    And you have de-DE windows 8 installed, same bitness?