Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Tihiy, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highend

highend MDL Junior Member

Oct 5, 2008
    8 Enterprise, x64 US Original with added german language pack (my installed Win 7 is x64, too). Don't ask me why, restored the last snapshot (VMware) a third time, tried it again and ... it works :worthy:
    Fantastic work, thanks a lot!

2. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011

Man,
    thanked all your posts for your hard work, keep going, i doubtfully will use Windows 8, but you're the one maybe will convince me!! :worthy::worthy:

Proposed to MAsters to promote him as MDL developer or programmer, he is going into a big challenge that he is going to win! :clap:

3. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    wow this totally blows me away
    it is lightning fast
    without the metro crap Windows8 is a Windows 7 killer.

Thanks Tihiy!

4. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Your enthusiasm makes me curious to try! Particularly the speed!

With reference to post 1: is there anybody around who could provide me with explorer.exe 32-bits en-US of Windows 7? I don't have this language version of Windows 7, so you would be very helpful if you could provide one!:yeahyeah:

Again: thank you very much if you have one and make it available to me AND other members/visitors - this way we could start right away!:worthy:

P.S.: If I'm correct, the explorer.exe is nonindependent from which version: enterprise or pro, but IF I'm mistaken: I use the enterprise version.

5. Tihiy

Tihiy MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2012
    You can grab Win7 enterprise trial iso from Microsoft, if you have time and traffic for that.

6. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    I just discovered that on my very old laptop I have a Windows 7 Pro en-US: this will do, probably?:confused:

7. Tihiy

Tihiy MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Will do. explorer.exe & .mui are no different between editions.

8. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    I can confirm that the Pro- and Enterprise-files are exchangeable. I executed your patch and... voila: no Metro any longer; and Windows runs faster!:excl: It's as light as a :balloon:!

Tihiy: you've done a great job: many thanks for that!:bounce4:

9. fds2612

fds2612 MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2011
    There are a couple of questions for the patch.
    Will it work on Russian Windows 8, and whether everything is in Russian?
    Will finalize the program?

10. Tihiy

Tihiy MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Да. Вместо en-US папка ru-RU соответственно.
    Надеюсь хватит времени и сил на это.

11. anuraag

anuraag MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    Installed it yesterday. Worked perfectly.
    Got black screen today. :(

12. kilikandzer

kilikandzer MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    The same with me.

13. hoak

hoak MDL Member

Nov 13, 2009
    The Developer Preview of Windows 8 still had a fully functional Start Menu, that completely turned off Metro -- I wonder if the binaries and libraries from that build could not in fact be patched or wrapped to run on the RTM build? This would seem to me to ultimately be a much more satisfactory solution, that might have longer legs in terms of compatibility, and minimizing other issues.

:confused:

14. GooG2e

GooG2e MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    Good idea for developers!!

15. hoak

hoak MDL Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Not sure what you mean? I think it would be a good idea for anyone that wants the standard desktop experience sans Metro and a functional Start Menu...

:confused:

16. GooG2e

GooG2e MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    I think that explorer of DP Version won't work correctly on RTM version, but may be developers can do anything

17. hoak

hoak MDL Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Ah, yes I'm almost certain you're right and that's why I suggested it here. The Developer Preview not only had a fully functional Start Menu it doubled duty as a much cooler Charms Menu, or even both it was also IMHO the most aesthetically congruent Start Menu design with where Windows 8 is now... Unfortunately even though I've been a forum Member for over three years, I don't spam enough to post links or images...

:)

18. vlad2989

vlad2989 MDL Novice

May 4, 2011
    Tihiy and ETA of next update ? or what are you working on thats going to be in it ? :) Thanx

19. snorky

snorky MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    beautiful tool ! Thanks a lot .

20. JimHollandOccupy

JimHollandOccupy MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2012
    what do i have to do when i have the english version with dutch language pack, does it change the explorer.exe?