Windows 7 for Christmas - next year

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RACERPRO, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RACERPRO

RACERPRO MDL Senior Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Expect to see Windows 7 right around this time next year.

CNET reports that during a technical session at the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference in Los Angeles, Microsoft director Jim Howe gave a presentation that seemed to confirm that Windows 7 will be on PCs by next year’s holiday season. (Techmeme) This little nugget isn’t exactly a big surprise.

Also see: New signs point to Windows 7 debuting earlier than expected

“Definitely the holiday focus is going to be on 7,” Howe told CNET following his presentation during a technical session about Velocity, a program designed to improve PC quality. It has been widely speculated, though never confirmed by Microsoft, that Windows 7 will ship around mid-year, in time to be on machines that ship for the 2009 holiday season.

Microsoft has avoided a public commitment on a shipping date for Windows 7, trying to avoid the PR hit that would come from missing a deadline. The official word from the company is that Windows will ship within three years of the January 2007 consumer release of Windows Vista. The company has said that it will ship a beta version early next year.

source: blogs.zdnet.com

2. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I can think of better presents ;)

We'll see anyways. Vista feels like a second Windows Millenium...:rolleyes: I'm using it, it's working but if somebody stays with WinXP, he won't miss anything. So let's see about this Windows 7 thingy...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I have had very little issues with Vista since the first public beta - have Ultimate 64 and Home Premium 32. I also have Win7 32 and 64 bit installed. Win7 32 installed, allowed me to install everything I wanted and works great. Win7 64 installed, has not allowed me to install some of the software Win7 32 did, and has had a few little issues.

The more I use Win7 the better I like it. It is quick, it is crisp, it is clean, IMO.
    The snowy mountain desk top is a big plus...;)

I could probably do what I do with a crayon and a large legal pad, so I'm sure I don't run into many of the issues others do. Having 4 OSs on this machine might be a wee bit of overkill, except in the fun department...:)

I am always interested in others opinions on the various OSs, keep'm coming.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    If the rumours about how Microsoft are developing Windows 7 are true,
    i.e. their only adding features to the OS once they are complete
    They can ship Windows 7 whenever they like.

Although this gives them another problem:
    Do they release it soon, making it Vista with a couple of addons.
    Or hang on for a while making it something worth getting.

@ancestor(v),
    I pretty much agree with you, with one exception.
    I work on multiple PC's everyday which means going from XP boxes to Vista boxes, and your right there is no real difference. Except moving from a Vista box to an XP box, there are alot of little differences, which can end up being annoying.

@bchat,
    I thought having four different OS's on my Netbook was 'Overkill' but you've got me beaten with 2x installs of Vista and 2x of Windows 7. :D

One thing I've noticed with Windows 7 is it seems to work better with less resources than other OS's. On my HP Mini-Note Vista is more than usable with 2GB RAM, but can be very slugish with only 1GB.
    Yet Windows 7 works almost aswell with 1GB as it does with 2GB, its only when you open multiple apps, that you notice the RAM difference.

5. haXXa

haXXa MDL Junior Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Actually, I think they'll make the "deadline" from what I've seen from the pre-beta version I'm running.

It's a hell more stable than Vista was even when it was in its last beta stages, so this is looking good!

6. kvic

kvic MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2007
    Whats Vista?

I have been testing 7 on a older machine and in all honestly it is QUICK compared to the finished Vista but i would'nt say faster than XP.

But i have to say a lot sexier, but lets face it how much time do you spend on your desktop i dont see them releasing it any time soon and if they did i think they should give a refund to anyone who spent money on vista.

To me vista is a Windows ME trick to boost M$'s wallet.

By the way i said a older machine here's the spec's

abit ns7-s amd 1.8 barton ,nvidia nforce 2 chipset, 80 gig hdd,xfx 6800xt 256,1.5 gig ram .

7. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Win 7 64 - gone - too many issues - ONLY 3 OSs now - :(

8. LUg

LUg MDL Junior Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I am working on Windows 7 (Build 6801) right now and only one word can describe it 'AWESOME':D:D

LUg.

9. Shanil

Shanil MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Why wait till christmas?

10. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    #10 noyod, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    Did you not see the last post before yours? This thread has been dead since 11-10-2008, and you pulled it out of its grave! :D :D :D

Let the dead rest in peace...........

11. xlaws

xlaws MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2009
    nice.......