Windows 7 fresh install to Windows 10 route, please advice

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by windows.seven, Jul 25, 2015.

1. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I just did a fresh install with fresh partitions on a Core2Duo 2.2GHz 1.5Gb RAM assembled desktop which was lying idle.
    I now have Win7 Pro SP1 installed. The install was done from a USB and downloaded torrent of TEAM OS (The Rain) was a year old.
    Now I am getting "1 day until automatic activation"
    I have purchased a key for low cost from Reddit and plan to activate this and then upgrade to Win 10.
    My questions are :
    1) Should I update now or wait for Win 10 to release?
    2) If I update and validate, should I install all the updates or it's not needed?
    3) If I install all the updates I will also get the "Reserve Win10" icon. Do I really need this or I can just download and upgrade from Win 10 ISO after it releases
    4) Should I go ahead and upgrade with the leaked RTM?
    I am in no hurry and can wait for some days. Please give correct method to install.

2. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    You can save the key....Use DAZ loader from here to activate 7 and do an upgrade to 10 that will activate and even allow fresh install after you have done the upgrade. You have to run the upgrade off the ISO from inside Windows 7 while connected to internet.

Safer to wait until after July 29th to upgrade with your key....You never know what will change.

3. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    1) You could wait but the leaked version is good to go now, if you're curious then go ahead and install (have a valid Windows 7 which sounds like you do, download ISO, mount or burn, then run it, install and once you are in Windows 10 and activated then you can do a clean install if you wish to do so).
    2) As long as you have Windows 7 with SP1 and it's valid you do not need to install all other available updates, even GWX.
    3) If you update Windows 7 thoroughly then yes you will at some point get the GWX update and the Reserve Windows 10 icon. This is not needed, as long as you have a compatible system (Windows 7 with SP1 or Windows 8.1 and they're valid).
    4) Yes.

Basically if you are going to do it then do:
    a) Install Windows 7
    b) Activate
    c) Make sure you're valid (use Internet Explorer and go to Microsoft's site /genuine/validate/ )
    d) Mount Windows 10 and install
    e) Make sure Windows 10 is valid
    f) Do a fresh or clean install of Windows 10 if you wish to do so.

4. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    As per what I read on the forum, it is possible that Daz loader activated Windows 7 versions will not get activated after Win 10 upgrade. This is the reason I purchased a key.

Thank you. That is what I was planning. Will probably go ahead and activate my Win 7 and then wait for 29th.