Windows 7 games deleted by build 10586 update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by xtcrefugee, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Yes there is. It is their system, they make rules. If they decide that software is obsolete or want to move it to store etc., it is their call. Adapt.

It is far from shocking behavior. It is called development. They did not remove any of your files without permission, they removed their files.

2. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2014
    #22 xtcrefugee, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    (OP)
    Absolutely wrong, on all counts. It's bizarre that there are people who think this on a forum like this one!

3. Sakuya

Sakuya MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Windows 10 uninstalled speccy and popped up a notice that it removed it due to compatibility problems, I reinstalled Speccy, and the system rebooted when I tried to run it.
    This was on an Asrock Q1900M which has the Intel J1900 CPU and outfitted with 4GB DDR3 1333.

So the compatibility manager in my case, worked as it was supposed to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    maybe they need to be installed again after upgrade,happens to me with a few microsoft programs,like live mail and worldwide telescope,after upgrades if i click their icon on start menu their install window opens and they have to reinstall.

5. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    #25 sevenacids, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Wow, so much fuss about such a simple issue. Facts summarized - in fairness:

1. No, I don't think it's correct behavior to silently delete programs without the user's consent, but...
    2. In case of the Windows Vista/7 games, according to the EULA, you're not allowed to install them on any other OS than the one they were distributed with. (I'm not even speaking of the unauthorized redistribution of these files by third-parties.)

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to appear pedandic, but if you kind of pirated the games and use them against the EULA, how can you complain if they get removed during the upgrade process? It's against the law? How can you demand rightfulness when you broke it in the first place? That's kind of illogical.

Just reinstall it and don't get hypercritical about any Fliegendreck. (engl. "fly spots").

6. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2014
    Show me where in the EULA it says you cannot use these games on a later version of the OS.

7. Eurisoph

Eurisoph MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Can always count on my MDLers for a hearty laugh

8. esemef

esemef MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2013
    #28 esemef, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    8. SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the features included in the software edition you licensed. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways. You may not 
    · work around any technical limitations in the software; 
    · reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation; 
    · use components of the software to run applications not running on the software;

Upgrading consumes the original license, so using anything from the old version is unlicensed. The upgrade therefore removes them, like it removes any features that are not included in the upgrade.

No line has been crossed, it's not shocking behaviour. The only thing shocking is how outraged you are. When you stray outside the official bounds then expect issues. Don't expect Microsoft to bend over and let you kick it, that isn't what MDL is about at all.

If you still think you have a case then talk to a lawyer.

9. xtcrefugee

xtcrefugee MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2014
    #29 xtcrefugee, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    (OP)
    Upgrading does not "consume the original license", that's something I've only ever seen written on this forum and it's completely false. MS has stated that the Windows 10 upgrade license has the same terms as previous upgrade licenses. Also, none of what you've quoted seems to relate to running the Windows 7 games on 10, it says "components of the software to run applications not running on the software", NOT running applications included with the software on other versions of the software. No components of Windows 7 are required to allow those games to run, they run as-is.

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Yes. Definitely.

11. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Yea, if you're simply running the exe then the app is not installed as far as the system is concerned. (Even some games will run fine if not installed--others won't run at all, etc.) When upgrading, Windows compiles a list of uninstalled applications that the compatibility manager decides won't work--in Win10 they should show up under notifications (unless you have them turned off, like I do.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...