Windows 7: Google Chrome & Windows Media Player Issue.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Min2020, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Did somebody call you... they claim to be from Microsoft or someone important (to say you have pc issues) or did you get an error on your computer with a phone number to call a tech to service your pc?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Min2020

Min2020 MDL Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I contacted a Tech via my Internet Provider.

This was some weeks after it happened.

He was really helpful and did try his best.

3. Min2020

Jan 14, 2020
    #23 Min2020, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    (OP)
    @LittlePro -

I did do Kaspersky one more time which took hours - no internet connection. Off.

It didn't come up with anything to write home about and nothing like what I read on Kaspersky itself that some have had a hard time getting rid of which are next to impossible but at least transparent. Glad it isn't some of those viruses.

I think that what Kaspersky revealed was really good on the whole as the only antivirus program that takes is the Microsoft Essentials one. The one or two I had working stopped, they could be uninstalled, but never reinstalled. I.E. AVG+Malwarebytes+CCleaner and an independent Firewall. CCleaner seems to still be fine.

I did try putting on others back to back but unsuccessful.

Google Chrome and Google still won't work as I just tried it via Opera.

As for WMP - still won't open up either and no music can be played via it.

What is good is nothing really sinister showed up with Kaspersky. I don't think so anyhow. And most importantly - I'm not riddled with several Trojans, Viruses, Malware etc. +1

However, either Kaspersky has done a fantastic job, or if there is anything, it has been missed.

4. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    #24 LittlePro, Jan 20, 2020
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LittlePro

Jan 19, 2017
  6. Min2020

Jan 14, 2020
    #27 Min2020, Jan 20, 2020
    (OP)
    Another thing...

Just realised it is now working for online scans (might be too early to say yet) as it wouldn't accept anything whether online, offline and/or downloaded.

Am doing it - this is via phone.

QUICK UPDATE:

3 hours and still going for Gold!
    Not all clear - "6 detections" so far.

However, might not be a high cause for concern as one that Kaspersky detected was not a virus just a part of another program. Like how some detect other antivirus programs.

Waiting to see what turns up as I did check it not to quarantine anything.

7. Min2020

Jan 14, 2020
    ESET is not clear - been almost 3 hours and still running.

6 detections so far - 154,000 files done so far. When Kaspersky did the second run there was well over "500,000 objects" scanned.

Am thinking files and objects are the same thing.

So, what do you want me to after ESET is done with it not being clear?

8. LittlePro

Jan 19, 2017
    1. Wait for ESET to finish & preferably remove the things detected if you are not sure.

2. Different tools look into different sections, parts & files. So you can't compare that anyway! That's why the results & detections may vary. Let it finish.

9. Min2020

Jan 14, 2020
    @LittlePro -

Will quarantine when done.

Do you want me to run it a 2nd time after quarantining and rebooting?

10. LittlePro

Jan 19, 2017
    #31 LittlePro, Jan 20, 2020
    1. No,

2. Let your system rest for sometime. It would have got hotty & tired, isn't it ?

3. Then run sfc /scannow to check for any problems. If any problem is found, run sfc/ scannow for three times & tell the result of 3rd time. If everything is clear, move to the next steps.

4. Till now we did not install anything & just used some portable things. Next dues are scans with MBAM & SUPERAntispyware.
    Both will be offering trial versions during or after installation. They come with Real Time Protection Component. After installation, go into their settings & make sure that real time protection is off. Then run the scans & report.

5. Brief : what are the detections ? These are probably last scans for infections. After that run sfc /scannow & tell the outcome.

6. You can share the System Information file if you are easy!

EDIT : Point 5 & 6

Thanks. ...

11. Min2020

Jan 14, 2020
    It is still running - over 4 hours now.

Will wait until it is done and then get back into it tomorrow night when I get home. Like to do the scan and other things requested etc.

It is still scanning now, so after it is finished I will let it rest. All good!

12. LittlePro

Jan 19, 2017
    #33 LittlePro, Jan 20, 2020
  13. Min2020

Jan 14, 2020
    @LittlePro -

Did let it rest and rebooted it as am still up. So, might as well be productive.

1) ESET scan - complete and 7 items deleted.

2) CMD scannow - complete and no issues. One time only.

3) Malwarebytes would not install, but it did download. Doesn't go pass INSTALLING window.

4) SuperAntiSpyware downloaded and is currently running. It had a Google Chrome option with it, but no go after it opened up. Real Time Protection disabled. Waiting for it to finish.

14. Min2020

Jan 14, 2020
    I didn't flush as just saw your message now.

It is okay I can do it all over again tomorrow night.

BTW: How do I flush?

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Ya'know.....
    it might be easier and faster to just back up your data and do a "clean install" of your operating system, saves a lot of trouble and headache of attempting to fix windows that is already corrupted... by trojans, malware or whatever

16. LittlePro

Jan 19, 2017
    Luckily, you need not repeat anything because it did not find any issues & so did not actually restored anything again. If the message had been ''Found corruptions & repaired '' Then it was crucial.

(i) I was expecting there will be problem with installations. Any error code, etc. ?

(ii) SUPERAntiSpyware is successfully installed & scan is running, Right ? Let it complete.

3. So, Quarantine!

Security programs keep detections in quarantine for some time, in case the detection is wrong, a false positive & needed to be restored! One can easily access & empty it out in an installed program. I will look how it would apply to these two portable ( KVRT & ESET ) programs, once they are closed.

Thanks. ...

17. Min2020

Jan 14, 2020
    #38 Min2020, Jan 20, 2020
    (OP)
    The link below might give you an idea of what we are up against - these are others experiencing the same or a very very similar issue to me. I just found it.

One is an IT person and cannot fathom it out himself, but thinks it is Microsoft as well.

This is not what I read last year as I didn't think to look up Google Chrome itself.

And YES I did a lot of what these people did like uninstall, reinstall, clean up cookies, redo the proxy server settings and so forth.

Nothing worked.

Have yet to finish reading it so...

//support.google.com/chrome/thread/3760347?hl=en

18. Min2020

Jan 14, 2020
    #39 Min2020, Jan 20, 2020
    (OP)
    @LittlePro -

1) Good to know.

I screen shot the results and nothing in those "7" seemed dangerous or malicious - two belonged to CC Cleaner.

2) No error - no code. Just froze in the middle of installing.

3) Did it twice with SUPER - it found quite a bit but mostly MICROSOFT(?). Files and documents. Cookies. Tracking.

Not really Trojans, Malware or Viruses.

It had TRACKING OBJECTS and ADWARE TRACKING COOKIES.

More or less in its own written words - nothing harmful.

19. LittlePro

Jan 19, 2017
    1.For ESET : Delete the esetonlinescanner directory from the location: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ESET\ESETOnlineScanner\

2.For KVRT : Delete the KVRT_Data directory from the location : C:\KVRT_Data

3. Just thinking why the installations are failing on your system ? Did you ever try any services, etc. tweaks or something like that ?

4. Going through your latest post.