Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by oz0ne, Jun 28, 2010.

1. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    That seems kinda odd though since you'd have to use IR4 3.0 to get to the 5 rearms. Which kinda proves my point I think? Since MS doesn't offer a "rearm" tool hence IR4 3.0. How is anyone suppose to use those rearms? See how weird that sounds. The 5 rearms just don't show up by downloading SP1 beta. So again I think they left that door open on purpose. Not sure why and don't care cause IR4 3.0 wouldn't exist if they didn't :eek:

2. oz0ne

oz0ne MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    I can't fathom that either. Hence, my original question. I thought there would be some potion and magic and crap required. Never figured the obvious. I am enjoying it though. Just waiting for it to catch fire and have goblins and wizards fly out with my key written on a treasure map. Thanks all again. WTF???

3. evildave

evildave MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I'm suspecting it might be the first step of something later to make the imaging stuff with sysprep easier.

A *LOT* of people have gotten burned in the past on this.

There's a registry key you can set to avoid burning a rearm for sysprep, but the sysprep itself resets it so you have to remember to do it every time.

4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Do you mean they are going to alter the RTM or retail copies as to start at 5 rearms instead of 3 like the present. This is my argument that they still must provide way to do actual rearm hence again IR4 3.0 and ultimately they would be giving us unlimited trial with their own "IR4" tool

If there's another explanation that you have please tell me otherwise I'm stumped as to how anyone will have access to the 5 rearms that "might" come into play at a later time...

And is there a MS tool to avoid losing a rearm when using the sysprep now? Or just some instructions on what reg cmds to enter or whatever?

5. evildave

evildave MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2010
    #25 evildave, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
    My thoughts are when they respin integrated-SP1 images for VL they might start at a higher number of rearms. Obviously the common tools would have to be changed to allow this and this might be the first evidence.

No tool, just the good old HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurentVersion\SL\SkipRearm that dates back to the Vista days.

However like I said, the generalize process itself resets this registry entry so you have to remember to set it before every sysprep -generalize run.

6. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    dude just do a anytime upgrade. i just got my dell studio 1558 last week had home premium installed. i just did the anytime upgrade. used ultimate dell key worked fine no issues.

7. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  8. simz_xpc

simz_xpc MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    U can also use any retail key to activate it by phone and if u wnat reail key pm me

9. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Why do you even need a retail key if you do a reset rearm trick to make it indefinite...
    I'd give timesurfer and Masterdisaster points for figuring this stuff out....
    Keys just get annoying because you have to keep up with so many...
    Shesh we don't need no stinkin keys haha...

10. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Yea keys are great if you like activation :eek:...lol

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I actually don't need any keys cause I might have a few legit pro keys from MSDNAA but I'm prob not goin to do anything for the next 1-2 years apart from a little testing to see if my current thing will time bomb windows 7 correctly...

12. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

So basically what you all saying here is that I just can use any Ultimate OEM SLP key to upgrade Windows 7 Professional x64 to Ultimate x64 through Anytime Upgrade?

Wow if it's that simple, Windows 7 goes down to the easiest Windows ever to cheat in so many ways.

13. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Yea it's so easy a caveman could do it...lol

14. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

LOL yeah you're right.

I think Windows 7 is the best freaking OS Microsoft have made there's no question about it and that you can cheat it in so many ways is just an awesome bonus!

15. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Since certs. are not version specific with 7. I wonder if MS will make OEM makers install certs. that match the version down the line. Obviously MS cannot blacklist all of those OEM legit keys right now.