Windows 7 HP Branded media

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Shorty003, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Shorty003

Shorty003 MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009
    #1 Shorty003, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
    Hey,

I work at an IT company, and we finally got the HP Branded Windows 7 media. The only problem is that it now checks the type of computer it's being installed on. The media was delivered with a HP Pro 3010MT, and it will only install on that specific system. On other systems I'm getting the following error message (translated from Dutch so it might be a bit different):

"This disk is not compatible with this system"

Anyone knows how to break out this annoying check? I dont really like activating every copy of Windows 7 i install.

P.S: It's for customers of us so uhh, no cracks please! :) I want to do this the legit way hehe.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: It's a weird DVD btw, it's modified by HP alot. It only has the install.wim, the rest is somehow gone. No clue how they did that and what they did the DVD exactly.. Can post the directory structure on request.

2. ripee

ripee MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2009
    What version is it? If it's Ultimate, can you please post the key? :D

3. herrkarl

herrkarl MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    #3 herrkarl, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  4. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Yes, posting the directory structure would be nice, and maybe then some files, otherwise i don't see how anyone can have any clue.

5. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Are you installing it on other HP SLIC 2.1 machines? Those are the only machines that that disc will be able to activate on.

If you are looking for a disc to install on HP machines, it's easy enough to use a vanilla disc and insert the key and certificate afterward (using built in tools:

slmgr -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx
    slmgr -ilc <HP-certificate>

It's also fairly easy to create your own self-activating HP disc which will automatically run those commands during install.

If you care about the HP logo in system properties you can add that in if you want. Personally I hate that type of branding.

Alternatively you can try installing the image on a machine, run sysprep and grab an image of it. Take that image and build an installation disc.

EDIT: Looks like herrkarl covered the specifics while I was too busy posting.

6. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    So, you want to be legit but bypass legit HP restrictions ???

Sounds like a contradiction to me - hope your boss doesn't frequent these forums!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. HappYuser999

HappYuser999 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2009
    Don't be so rude :p
    I've had the same problem with HP windows XP.
    I wanted to install a DC7800 XP on a DC7900 comp, and it says "not compatible blahblah", even if it where 99,99% same hardware..

here I dont know how to bypass hardware check..

8. jjtricket

jjtricket MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    Lets see, its ok to break HP rules but not Microsoft rules. LOL!

9. Shorty003

Shorty003 MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009
    Sorry it's Professional :) I'll post the key later.

Thanks, i will try this.

I will try herrkarl his solution first, since it seems like a good one to me.

Thanks, awesome. Didnt know this was possible with slmgr. I'll check this out too!

No, he doesnt look here. Anyways i dont see how bypassing this check is against their policy. Imo it's just based on nothing, it's just alot of extra time to call Microsoft every time to active a system..

Yeah well, it's basicly just a check which is based on nothing. I dont have the time to wait for HP to deliver Windows 7 branded media for all the different type of systems. That will take ages and requires alot of unneeded dvd's.

10. exorcist

exorcist MDL Junior Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Checking the brand / model of computer with branded media is nothing new most branded media does it, just like a mobo driver disc wont allow you to install on a non compatible mobo.

Its a pain but it's normal.

11. mirza

mirza MDL Novice

May 16, 2008
    Can u please post $oem$ folder from your DVD-s for us?