Windows 7 Image Updater - SkyLake\KabyLake\CoffeLake\Ryzen Threadripper

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Atak_Snajpera, Feb 2, 2018.

1. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    No ps2 ports. 2 words, paddle, s**tcreek. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe K

Joe K MDL Novice

May 24, 2018
    Bro it's a brand new mini-ITX H370-I, there is no PS2 ports. In fact, there isn't even any USB2.0 ports, or USB3.0 ports, it's all USB 3.1 gen1/2. That's why I bought the PCIe USB 3.0 controller.

3. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    i know, i goggled it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Joe K

Joe K MDL Novice

May 24, 2018
    @Atak_Snajpera Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Trying to re-do the USB now with the updated installer and lets see if any results.

5. Joe K

Joe K MDL Novice

May 24, 2018
    I'm getting somewhere... I replaced the files that were pre-loaded with some custom / modded files I had from my ASUS Z370 board, I left the installer to use the "new installer" instead of disabling it... Now I have mouse and keyboard functionality on the install on PCIe card with H370... Lets see what happens. Will keep the thread updated.

6. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    If you manage to get w7 installed could you do a comprehensive "how to" because i may get coffee lake.

7. Joe K

Joe K MDL Novice

May 24, 2018
    Coffee Lake isn't the problem, for example the Z370 boards are really easy to get working. The only thing that doesn't work is the iGPU driver, so if you're going to only be doing workstation tasks, just get a $50 non-fan MSI GT710 2gb Nvidia card for $40, or if gaming, get a better graphics card. My main rig, Z370, was really, really easy to get Win7 installed using the drivers provided by ASUS on their website.

But the H370-I which is a mini-ITX board is a completely different story. ASUS doesn't have a any Windows 7 drivers listed, and as mentioned at the start of this post, Intel switched from using ASMedia USB 3.1 controller to their own custom one, so there are currently no drivers available for Windows 7. If/when I get into Windows, I'm going to try and install the Chipset and other drivers from the Windows 10 section of ASUS on this motherboard, and others directly from i.e. Realtek and Intel (LAN) that I found while searching the model numbers of the components.

8. Joe K

Joe K MDL Novice

May 24, 2018
    I guess it was just the new installer allowing the USB ports to be used, because the installation finished, Windows loads and gets to the "name this computer" part... and the keyboard/mouse die again, even when being plugged into the PCIe card. It's like the PCIe card has lost power or is not being read properly, or doesn't have the right driver, but it's the latest driver that was included in Windows Image Tool. Why in the world would Windows not be able to communicate with the PCIe card? Plugging my keyboard/mouse into USB 3.1 slots results in having power, but no functionality. Plugging into PCIe USB3.0 slots results in no power and no functionality.

What USB driver is the "new" installer using? Whatever it is, we need to find a way to port it into the actual OS to make this work on H370. Because the PCIe card method simply does not work.

9. Atak_Snajpera

Atak_Snajpera MDL Member

Feb 2, 2018
    #309 Atak_Snajpera, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    (OP)
    User Joe K HAS NOT FULLY UPDATED IMAGE with ALL 50 updates and now complaints that something does not work. He contacted me at videohelp.com and said that he refuses to integrate updates with image because he does not need them - LOL!

Me
    His answer

10. Joe K

Joe K MDL Novice

May 24, 2018
    You included way too many updates that I don't need. You also only include Chipset drivers for C200/216 motherboards, which are really outdated to say the least. By importing my own chipset drivers (ghetto rigged combination - H370 is many based on Cannon Lake which there is hardly any support for), a mix of Coffee Lake / Cannon Lake / Kaby Lake / Skylake, I was able to finally install Windows 7 on H370 board using an external PCIe USB controller.

But there are some huge problems with doing this.
    1) There is no Windows 7 driver for Cannon Lake xHCI controller, so you will NOT have USB functionality from anything besides the PCIe controller.
    2) There is no VGA driver for iGPU on Cannon Lake CPUs for Windows 7.
    3) There is only 1 PCIe slot on most H370 boards, which has to be occupied by the USB controller.

Basically the only way this makes sense is if you're using the H370 board is a VPS/server like me. Or, a possibility I consider was getting one of those "PCIe riser" cards that the crypto miners use? Possibly it would allow an additional PCIe slot? I'm not really sure. But the iGPU with default Windows 7 VGA driver is pretty bad, it supports like 3 resolutions, and none of them are what I need.

In the end, this a lot of effort for not a lot of reward to install Windows 7 on H370 at this moment in time. If I could figure out a way to get the board to have 2x PCIe slots, I'd be good... but otherwise, I'm just lucky that this PC will be controlled 100% of the time through TeamViewer.

11. Atak_Snajpera

Atak_Snajpera MDL Member

Feb 2, 2018
  12. Joe K

Joe K MDL Novice

May 24, 2018
    It's a mini-ITX board, not really much space for 2x PCIe slots, I think most only have 1. And I prefer Intel :). But Windows 7 is working great -- just if I ever have a problem that requires a keyboard/mouse (very rare as teamviewer auto starts), I have to open the case and plug in the PCIe usb card. But that almost never happens.

13. yatopp

yatopp MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2011
    #315 yatopp, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Is there good working windows 7 drivers for 8th gen intel cpu graphics drivers?

I decided to give it a go for my UHD 620. I got drivers to install on 15.45.23.4860 by inf hacks. The display works, but trying to play video files on either windows media player or MPC-HC crashes both players (MPC-HC crashes with a memory access violation). Trying to run WEI doesn't work either. It gets stuck on windows media section. As far as I can tell, non video activities are okish.

I then tried inf hacks on later native drivers. They would install, but once rebooted, device manager would show the device as not active, some error.

Has anyone been more successful in getting it working a bit better? I would like to at least get video playback, but it seems my skills fall a bit short.

Note: I have everything else working on a Dell 7490. The USB3, NVME drivers worked fine. The only problem issues were the dell touchpad (got that working -except gestures- via inf hacks) and the graphics.

14. yatopp

yatopp MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2011
    Just tried changing to madVR, it worked and it seems worked with DXVA2 (copy-back)!
    So the hacked drivers only currently break windows media player and WEI.

15. Atak_Snajpera

Atak_Snajpera MDL Member

Feb 2, 2018
    #318 Atak_Snajpera, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    (OP)
    Probably they are not compatible with default Enhanced Video Renderer. I wouldn't worry about that outdated renderer since madVR is superior in every way.

16. yatopp

yatopp MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2011
    Yeah, Thanks. Will have to test if there are any other quirks, but getting there...

17. Gipreps

Gipreps MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2017