Windows 7 Image Updater - SkyLake\KabyLake\CoffeLake\Ryzen Threadripper

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Atak_Snajpera, Feb 2, 2018.

1. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Maybe if you explain exactly what you're doing, then you'd probably get adequate help...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. polly4you

polly4you MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2011
    H!, sorry okay I am trying to make the Win 7 ISO wth the Windows 7 image updater and it always get stuck at WINDOWS 7 IMAGE HAS NOT BEEN DETECTED IN SELECTED FILE I dont get it what am I doing wrong I have enough space but still the outcome is the same NOTHING except the message above even though it says in the beginning everything is ok it decompresses the boot.wim it decompresses the install.wim...So is this enough of an explanation...

YS: polly4you

3. Mirene

Mirene MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2019
    Hello, I have a question regarding this.
    >USB ports won't work on Intel H370 , B360 , H310 and newer chipsets! Use external PCI controller!

If I use windows 7 in B360 motherboard, am I doomed to never be able to use the onboard USB slot? Or it's only a matter of "Right now, the compatible USB driver just haven't been uploaded yet"?
    Thank you.

4. Atak_Snajpera

Atak_Snajpera MDL Member

Feb 2, 2018
    I'm 99% sure that Intel will not release driver for own USB controller.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    It means that Intel is in cahoots with Microsoft to stop installations of Windows 7 on any new motherboards (no drivers for hardware) so you must be forced into using Windows 10

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. teque

teque MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2018
    #466 teque, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    EDIT - Already fixed

7. Atak_Snajpera

Atak_Snajpera MDL Member

Feb 2, 2018
    You need external USB controller in your case. End of story.

8. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    You haven't been paying enough attention to the whole windows 10 enforcement situation. You already know why 8.1 doesn't do well with H370, you've had this problem with windows 7. It's absolutely the same - DRIVERS. 8.1 supports an older revision of USB3, it doesn't know anything about the hardware id's on a Coffee Lake platform, so to speak.

If you don't want people joking around, start providing useful information. Nobody here knows how to work a crystal ball and magically guess what hardware you have.

You have two choices:
    - buy an external USB controller in order to install windows 7(and even then you'll probably be missing some drivers)
    - use 10 Enterprise LTSC
    The latter is more practical as you won't have an 80% unusable I/O on the back of your PC.

9. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Intel released a USB driver for Win 7 for up to 8th generation but the B360 must be a later version of the 8th generation. I am wondering if simply adding the hardware ID for the B360 chipset to the Intel USB 3 INF file might get it to load? I just don't know what the ID is at present.

I had already installed Win 7 on the Asus B360M before I discovered your app. I would like to run it over my installation but I fear messing it up. I had a heck of a time getting the Logitech Unifying receiver setup.

The only device not running is the stock USB 3 drivers on the B360 chipset. I am using an external USB device and that works fine but if I want to use the Win 7 repair disk I need to use a PS/2 corded keyboard and mouse plugged into the B360 PS/2 ports.

In fact, that's how I got Win 7 running. I used a corded PS/2 keyboard and mouse with USB - PS/2 adapters and another USB keyboard plugged into the USB 3 external card. The latter got me past the boot screen where I had to choose Win 7 and the former let me enter my password at the logon screen.

10. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Hi...I'm new here.

My platform is Coffee Lake and I'd like to find the hardware ID's for the USB 3 drivers. I am not deluding myself into thinking I can simply add them to the Intel USB 3 INF file designed for Win 7, but I am wondering if anyone has tried that. I mean, Intel has already supplied Win 7 drivers for early 8th generation chipsets but they wont work on my B350M, as indicated by the author of this thread.

I am trying to understand the technical difficulties. I was lead to believe it would be a horror show finding drivers for my Win 7 installation but it was not. I think all Microsoft has done is cripple the upgrade by refusing to supply USB 3 drivers. They have gone so far, on an update, to identify 7th generation chipsets and beyond, then ban those users from updates.

I think that's downright creepy, they are obviously forcing people to use Win 10. For anyone caught with the Microsoft ban on Win 7 installs on a 7th or 8th generation mobo, Google wufuc at Github.

Sorry, I have not had time to read through the majority of the replies.

11. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    May be a dumb reply, but is your ISO or WIM file read only? I am sure Atak's app takes that into consideration but i have seen instances where the app being worked on is still in read only mode. Also, permissions can be an issue with regard to ownership. If the ISO was created on another system with a different Admin/User and you try to operate on it in another system with a different Admin/User, you may run into ownership issues.

What I did in similar situations was to pull both WIM files out of the Installation ISO and operate on them directly using DISM. Then you can re-insert them into an ISO using something like Imgburn using the feature to create an ISO from loose files. Of course, you need to supply a bootable image for Imgburn.

12. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    I am new here so please excuse me if I am misunderstanding you. I am using a Vantek UGT-PC341 which is advertised as a 4 port USB PCIe Host Card and it is running fine on a Win 7 install on an 8th generation Asus B360M with an Intel i5 - 8200 processor. I have not tried a USB 3 device on it yet but it works perfectly with all my USB 2 devices. I am using a 6 port USB 2 extension with its own power supply on one of the 4 ports and I can run anything off it that is USB 2.

Vantek supplies USB 3 drivers on a CD, why would they not work for USB 3 devices on Win 7?

13. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    I notice most people are trying to install Win 7 fresh on chipsets like Coffee Lake. I already had a working Win 7 installation on its own drive and I just plugged the drive into the Coffee Lake mobo (Asus B360m). It booted fine to the logon screen and I had to rig a corded USB keyboard and mouse via USB to PS/2 adapters so I could log in.

If you had such an installation without a password or a boot menu, I'm sure Win 7 would boot straight to the desktop using its stock drivers. Upon reaching the desktop, I was able to change resolution to 1920 x 1080 using Control Panel/Display and it worked fine using the stock video driver on the installation.

Intel is not the problem, it's Microsoft. They don't want you using Win 7 on newer mobos, they are pushing W10. Intel supplies USB 3 drivers for Win 7 that cover chipsets up to early 8th generation. Microsoft has gone so far as to ban you from W7 updates if they find you are using a newer chipset/processor.

If you can't do a fresh install, try loading W7 on another hard drive on another mobo then plug it straight into the 6th, 7th, or 8th generation mobo. You could likely find an old Intel mobo cheap and use Intel drivers on it with the W7 installation. Run it on a table with a p/s and use onboard graphics to your current monitor just to install the OS.

Of course, my old mobo was Intel as well with Intel chipset drivers and my new mobo has an Intel chipset as well.

I understand there are issues with AMD and that's why I stay away from them and use Intel chipsets.

14. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Sound like you may have an old dual-boot manager file in your boot directory. I fixed that message by deleting an old boot-ini file from XP from a time when I dual-booted XP and W7. Then I ran the W7 repair disk and got it to fix boot errors.

What's likely happening is that during the boot phase, the system is reading a boot manager file that has a missing OS listed.

You might be able to do it manually. If the W7 repair disk will run, and you have PS/2 ports, you can use a USB keyboard with a USB to PS/2 adapter to access the W7 repair disk.

15. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Is the 'soldered' to which you refer a hardware mod? I have an Asus B360m-c and I am interested in such mods. Any reference to such a mod?

16. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    I had a similar idea but I have not had time to check it out. I ran through a W10 install in the registry, exporting all pertinent USB 3 sections as reg files. I plan to run through them all checking out hardware IDs, etc., to see if I can incorporate any of it in the W7 registry or INF files.

I know I need the drivers but Intel has issued W7 drivers for up to early generation 8 chipsets. If anyone knows of hardware reasons why those drivers should not work on a B360 chipset with an i5 - 8200 processor, I'd appreciate the info.

17. Atak_Snajpera

Atak_Snajpera MDL Member

Feb 2, 2018
  18. czarnyjezus

czarnyjezus MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2019
    you should create a torrent for this