Windows 7 Installation Guide

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jlgager, Dec 13, 2010.

1. themendios

themendios MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2011
    This forum has been good to me today so I will tell you that you don't need to download the USB tool, just installed off a USB drive, only two steps (in this order).

Optional first step is format the USB drive. Probably already formatted, though.

Step 1: Extract ISO or copy disc contents onto Flash Drive.
    Step 2: Command prompt, go to the drive
    CD BOOT
    BOOTREC (DRIVE): /NT60

Done.

If you need to squeeze a little more space out of your USB drive (I was like 100MB short with a 4gig drive), you can compress all but the root files, BOOT directory, and BOOT.WIM/INSTALL.WIM in SOURCES\

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Yea you can export boot.wim and install.wim but you wont earn that much, 100 MB tops maybe?
    Plus you can delete some files in the iso or on the usb without any problems, just cant remember which (but its listed on msfn board)

3. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    At what point during the installation can I remove my installation DVD/USB?

4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    When the installation is done?..

5. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I didn't know if I could remove it sooner, since it copies temp folders.

6. Tex Arcana

Tex Arcana MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    Okay, so I've got Win7 Ultimate x64 on an 8gig USB, jumped thru the somewhat more difficult hoops to make it, but it works as I needed it to.

HOWEVER, I got smacked a couple-three weeks ago (I really don't know, I work for a major home-improvement retailer---no, the other one!---and have no idea what time or day it is), and I had to ultimately restore an Acronis image that was about 8 months old. Since the libraries got a bit wonky due to some errors on my part moving them, and some other installed junk that I really don't need, I've decided to reimage.

Based on the Windows Multi-Brand Activation Thread info, and Daz's fine work, I discovered that I could roll an installation image that has everything I need to have a new installation that's activated and patched out of the box.

My question is: do I need an .iso tool to put the various files and folders into their places on the USB key, or can I just drag'n'drop them onto the key, and be good to go?

Forgive my n00bletness, but I'm just a "shadetree computer mechanic", learning as I go.

Thanks in advance, folks!

EDIT:

Holy f**king a$$crackers... One of these days I'll learn me some reading comprehension... it's right effing there on the first post!! WOOHOO!!!

You people are damn awesome!

7. kentuckynet

kentuckynet MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2011
    How do you Embedd the daz loader into the windows 7 disc?

How do you Embedd the daz loader into the windows 7 disc?
    I looked all over for this info but could not find it?

Thanks for your help
    Kentucky

8. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Go find daz and windows loader thread, download it, open it and find read me.

9. MoloMowchow

MoloMowchow MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2011
    I have a question about this step:

"The next step is to activate your Windows. Grab your key and type it here. Uncheck Automatically Activate Windows, especially if you have embedded Windows Loader by Daz into the installation media. If you have installed the loader do not enter a key."

I was a little confused so I'll ask here. I have the windows loader but it's not embedded nor is it installed on my computer. I have the zip/folder of the windows loader on a USB stick and was planning to plug it in after windows 7 installation and running it on there. what's the appropriate action for this step for someone like me?

10. YangerD

YangerD MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2010
    You do not need to enter a key to finish installing. Just install the loader after Windows is installed.

11. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Reinstall driver worked for me with graphicdriver..

12. sirleon69

sirleon69 MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2011
    nice guide been looking for something like this...

Thanks

13. zmalk

zmalk MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2011
    thank you very much

14. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Just one small question. I take out the install DVD once I see the welcome screen and desktop. However, I think it can be even taken out even earlier. If I remember, there are the following restarts:
    1. first restart after completing install (restart in 10 secs...)
    2. after updating registry, detecting drivers (screen font size changes from big to small)

After the second restart, there is no 3rd restart, and after typing username, settings etc; one gets the desktop. I think the DVD can even be taken out after the 1st start since all files would have been copied to disk by then.

Not that it matters much since one can hardly use the DVD or the PC till windows install but just in case of accidental removal or abort after/before restarts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. flashcrew

flashcrew MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    Just one small question. What loader/activator can you recommend to me to use for activation after installing en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_618240 ? I believe this is needed for you to pass the MS validation and to have the genuine status. I still have the Windows 7Loader (see image below, change hxxp to http). I use this loader on my current setup using Windows 7 Ultimate x86 RTM.

hxxp://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn48/paulmichael_akr/7loader.jpg

Is this loader still possible to use with en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_618240? Or should I download other activator/loader? Btw, what other loader/activator readily available to use with? I saw Windows Loader v1.9.7 by Daz, is this better to be use as loader/activator with en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_618240? Or I'm still good to go with my previous Windows 7Loader?

I'm asking all of this for me not to experience any problems in the future using the new en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_618240. Problems like WAT or the likes.

Many Thanks!

16. MSOFT

MSOFT MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2011
    Nice guide THANK

17. Seed_peer

Seed_peer MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2011
    thank you.........

18. katanov

katanov MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    Thak You!
    Note: If you configured your computer to boot from DVD don't forget to take the DVD out during the first restart so your computer doesn't boot again and the installation will star over.

19. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    As I have done many installs of windows 7, I can safely say that the DVD can stay in till install completes and desktop appears. This is not necessary (perhaps dvd can be taken out before first restart and after `restart in 10 secs...'. I do not take out the DVD but I also do not press any key as prompted. Just let it go on its own. Pressing any key of course on first restart will cause a reload and restart of install. There goes another 10 mins.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...