Windows 7 Installation Guide

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jlgager, Dec 13, 2010.

1. MrVideo

MrVideo MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2014
    #141 MrVideo, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Sorry, but that seems to have no relation as to how to get the loader onto the W7 ISO. And yes, I saw that, but as mentioned, it has no relationship to the question at hand, or so it seems.

I was looking for a section that tells the reader how to put the loader onto the ISO. That wasn't it.

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrVideo

MrVideo MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2014
    This is info you know. For a noob, it cannot be assumed that it is known as how to do this. Maybe the instructions at the top of this thread should point the user to what you just pointed too, or the FAQ needs to have a question/answer that pertains to this very topic.

I've been working with computers for over three decades, as a Unix guru. I deal with Windows, but not this type of nuts and bolts, like I do with Unix/Linux.

The installation instructions at the top are great, very detailed. But the loader/ISO gets a glancing blow. No details.

I hope you can understand my confusion.

Thanks for the pointers.

4. MrVideo

MrVideo MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2014
    Sorry, but after reading the two links, I am even more confused.

I burned the W7 ISO and then mounted it on my XP system. I have no idea where the directories are that are being referenced. There is no setup directory on the ISO.

A simple set of instructions as to where to place the setupcomplete.cmd file and loader program will be appreciated. After that I'll create a new bootable ISO file and burn it.

This should not be that difficult.

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    In root directory of the ISO create following sub-folder structure $OEM$\$$\Setup\Scripts\ and place setupcomplete.cmd and loader files inside the \Scripts\ folder.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mimart7

mimart7 MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012
  7. MrVideo

MrVideo MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2014
    Goes to show that I know very little about Windows stuff. I didn't expect the folder names to actually contain the $ character. Like I said, I know nothing about this Windows stuff.

OK, I created the directories and added the two files (setupcomplete.cmd & "Windows Loader.exe"), using the setupcomplete.cmd example in the Daz readme file.

Then I go to make a bootable ISO and now imgburn is complaining because it needs a boot image file. So, I put in the Win7 DVD and had imgburn extract the boot image. The new ISO is currently burning.

It will be a while before I actually do the install. The new box isn't completely ready yet.

Thanks again for the pointers.

8. MrVideo

MrVideo MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2014
    #148 MrVideo, Aug 29, 2014
    @jlgager

Suggestion for the FAQ. Hope it meets the needed criteria for inclusion.

Q: How do I add "Windows Loader.exe" to the Win 7 ISO
    A: Do the following steps.
    1. Obtain a copy of the Win7 x86 or x64 ISO
    2. Burn the ISO and mount the DVD
    3. Extract all of the files from the ISO to a temporary folder. Do not remove the DVD yet
    4. In the root of the temporary folder, create the following folder structure: $OEM$\$$\Setup\Scripts
    5. In the just created Scripts folder copy the "Windows Loader.exe" program
    6. Create the file setupcomplete.cmd in the same scripts folder, containing the following
      Code:
      @ECHO OFF
      %~dp0"Windows Loader.exe" /silent /preactivate
      cd %~dp0
      attrib -R -A -S -H *.*
      SHUTDOWN /R /T 5
      RMDIR /S /Q "%WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts"
      exit
    7. Use an ISO creation program like ImgBurn to create a new ISO file. (Operations will be similar with other programs)
    8. Set up ImgBurn to "Create Image file from files/folders"
    9. Copy all of the files and folders from the temporary folder to ImgBurn
    10. Under the Advanced tab select bootable
    11. Extract the boot image file from the still mounted Win7 DVD
    12. Finally create the new Win7 ISO file. ImgBurn will automatically use the previously extracted boot image file

9. MrVideo

MrVideo MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2014
    I prefer the DVD route. Why? The disc is always available if you need to reinstall, or fix, the installation. It is cheaper than using a thumbdrive and keeping the thumbdrive around for future use. If you don't keep the Win7 ISO on the thumbdrive, you'll have to spend time rebuilding the thumbdrive.

Consider me lazy :D

10. MrVideo

MrVideo MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2014
    I have a laptop with Win7 and want to have it automatically log in. The FAQ says to enter "control userpasswords2" in the search box and hit enter.

What search box? This needs to be more specific. First time Win7 users won't know which search box to use.

Thanks.

EDIT: I think I found it via google search. Press and hold the windows key and then also press the letter r key. Enter the above in that box and you'll get there. I think this should be added to the FAQ.

11. MrVideo

MrVideo MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2014
    #151 MrVideo, Sep 1, 2014
    The FAQ lists locations to get Win7. It indicates that the links point to Win7 Professional, when I want to install Win7 Ultimate. It is my understanding that the retail DVD contains all versions. If the X15-65805.iso is downloaded, what is installed, Professional or Ultimate?

UPDATE: I gather it is Professional

Here is a place in which to download any of the Win7 ISO files:

Code:
    www{dot}nextofwindows{dot}com/download-retail-windows-7-iso-from-official-website
    Sorry about the above mess, but I can't post URLs yet. :( Cut-n-paste the above into your browser and replace "{dot}" with a period.

Maybe this site should be listed in the instructions.

12. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    By default it is Pro, if you open the iso file with Ultraiso or another soft, you can delete the ei.cfg file located in sources folder, you then have all versions available and select the one you want at installation.

13. MrVideo

MrVideo MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2014
    Thanks for the info. I updated my posting with new info while you were posting this.

For those who prefer not to edit the ISO, the above listed website has links to all of the ISOs, even ISOs with SP1.

14. ApixelITSupport

ApixelITSupport MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2014
    Thanks for provider this much information regarding Windows 7 installation Guide. This will surely helps as I have everything in one post.

15. jokerman

jokerman MDL Novice

May 7, 2011
    Amazing guide !

16. jlgager

jlgager MDL Developer

Oct 30, 2009
    #157 jlgager, Nov 5, 2014
    (OP)
    Thanks for putting this together. I have been busy lately and am sorry i am just now updating this thread. I have added this to the FAQ!

17. imimimi

imimimi MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2014
    Thank you, very helpful

18. qaj1shi

qaj1shi MDL Senior Member

Apr 10, 2011
    thank you sir! :worthy:

19. andrew-s

andrew-s MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2009
    My old Windows 7 SP1 multi version USB install media has a self-activating method for slic 2.1 bioses, without any user input. My problem is that I can't remember how I did it.
    If I look in the Install.wim, I have a folder "Windows/System32/OEM" containing several OEM certificates.
    That's all I can find, can't remember anything else, but there is something that is doing the activating.
    I want to make a new Install media and want to include the same "self-activation" method.
    I don't need OEM branding, just the activation.
    So my question is, what other things must I integrate to the Install.wim?