Windows 7 keeps getting BSOD's

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bowery4, Mar 3, 2014.

1. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    Tonto, I think that umbtu has a run from cd option too, that is why i mentioned it upthread, I was thinking to try it as well, but if you had a fixable but corrupt sector in the regisrty would it be possible it would still crash?

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    After the format with KillDisk and having Windows 7 reinstalled you'd just enter your wireless key or connect to your network.

If you need a driver installed to get internet access then just make sure that it's Windows 7 compatible (not designed for XP or Vista) and only install that one driver yourself. Install everything else via Windows updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    #23 bowery4, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    (OP)
    thanks......I have been trying all night but it just keeps bsoding during installs. I have tried on both the home basic it only loads upto 149mb then phht. On the ultamite it gets to about, 143mb then phht. I tried "fixing the computer" and the boot manager went missing. Not sure if it is back but it just almost loads everything then dies (all of these were clean installs with the format option (lthough one time on the ultamie i tried w/o format).

This pretty much where i was at a couple of months ago too. i only had the ultamite disc then but it just wouldn't finish the install after the first few times i did it.

BTw loked at my memory stick and there is only one 2gb in there.
    So testing the way you suggested is a no go.

bummed out might just look for a slightly affordable used one with sombody elses problems.
    to fix this, I wanted and kind of need to install one of the OSs before i can do anything else as I need to dl and burn a cd with it and get some stuff I need off the d drive. No one around here has a pc (although there may be a gaming place I can do the cd at).
    I really need some stuff in that d drive though. I was trying to get all on my external before but it kept getting interupted by bsods the otherday,/was it yesterday? i kind of forget already.

Any ideas? the home basic disc does it when it tries to get to the registry (black page with the star burst graphic) settings/adjustment, whatever it is called....
    The ultramite disc before that.
    also btw got my toshbia disc today, I have all of these drivers except the java one already, i was able to see the folder before i did the installs to night but it just crashed when i was looking at the files.

4. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    If the DVD was created from a valid ISO file (did you check the MD5/SHA1 once the download was complete?) then for it to refuse to install makes me think that it's definitely a hard drive fault. It's as if a key area is damaged and each time something tries to write to that area you get a BSOD.

Hard drives failing in laptops is a common thing. It can be caused by too much heat or if you've dropped it or knocked it hard enough at any point while it was running. You might of just got unlucky though.

At this point I'd abandon Windows for now and try my previous suggestion.

Zorin is much like Windows and even comes with a bunch of codecs and Wine built in (Wine will allow you to run some Windows applications). It's good for people who are unfamiliar with Linux.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    thanks again, actually i was just looking at a thai site and i maybe able to pick up a "used" pretty cheap (he even has pictures of the green boxes in the hd test you had me do. Going to call tomorrow see what is up with his ad.

I really want to get stuff of that d drive tho, i wasted a lot of time getting stuff bookmarked in my firefox the otherday, which i need for my girlfriends immigration plus i have some old files for finding work that I stupidly never removed. no incrinating photos or videos though lol. Just stuff to make life easier.

i will try zorin first chance i get, in anycase.
    thanks again.

6. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Didn't you just format the entire hard drive so that nothing would be recoverable though?

If there's still stuff on the drive then you could use the live mode within Zorin to browse the files on your Windows partition. With that you should be able to backup your Firefox profile and any files to a USB.

7. KurentEweser

KurentEweser MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Kinda tough to troubleshoot a computer when you only have one. If you get a new hard drive, you can always put the old drive in a cheap external enclosure to get your files. Downloading any files you need won't be possible with a OS that won't run. I'm not sure if any of your Windows install discs can be installed on a usb flash drive. Bootable flash drives are a life saver.

8. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #28 tonto11, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    The registry is a system structure created temporarily by the operating system each time the system boots.

If you have successfully tested the Linux cd or Hiren's boot cd on another computer
    any failures to run on the target computer must relate to problems with the target computer memory, cpu or whatever.

You can also use Hiren's boot cd to run mini WinXP with which you can extract your filed on the unaffected partitions on the hard drive to one or more flash drives. If I were in your position this would be my first objective.

...T

9. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    No I was trying to recover some stuff and I wanted to dl and use killdisc (no other computer to use... but i am going to go by a gaming place soon and see if I can do it there, not sure i can run it with out an os in place tho?). Thanks for all the replies guys, I am learning, if nothing else

10. Dos_Probie

Dos_Probie MDL Senior Member

Jul 18, 2012
    #30 Dos_Probie, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    Just did a fresh reinstall on a Toshiba lap, and install went fine but after a few minutes at desktop or on the net I kept getting a bsod, I put in another drive and reinstalled again and this time no problems, so long and short the first drive was not completely dead but on the way out..DPo_O

11. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    The disc I got off digital river was quite a while ago, I don't think I did those things as I wasn't aware of this site at the time and never read that b4 i came here.
    On the other hand, it did work for a while when I first installed it that way with watremover (i think it was).
    the homebasic version I have is a verifyable real ms licieced disc that I bought, so I think it should work, in anycase.
    It also worked on first and few more installs but bsod' after 1st updates were run.

I am thinking, there seems to be no real tests that are 100% for any components, so it behoves me to replace by cheapest first. disc was cheapest, hd seems next. i feel that that is the issue as well.

12. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    #32 bowery4, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    (OP)
    ordered new hdd, 55usd not used 1 year warrenty. See what happens in a few days I guess.stupid question, still have a hdd from my imac 6 years ago.... that wouldn't be of any use right? just asking, i have no idea about compatabilty of these peices of hardware. My mac had a motherboard issue tho, i have thought of selling this but had no way i knew of kd empting it and have no idea what i left on it. oh and it has a cord that plugs into a usb port but no encloser.

13. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    The drives specs might tell you, or you can check the maker's website or contact their customer service. Or you could just hook it up and try it. If it works you're good to go, if it doesn't then no harm; no foul.

14. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    #34 bowery4, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    (OP)
    so got my new hdd is a 500gb toshbia, was very hard to order as they mesed up the order but anyway 6 days later it is here.i am trying to install windows right now and have already gotten bsods. get to set up and crashes or gets to actually expanding files and does. I also some how have made 3 partions on the disk, one is made by the install disc itself for system files which is only 100mb (itsays you can not install there and i made 2 others)

But i have another question. Is it possible that my dvd r/w device is no good and could be the cause of my install problems? I got a few messages in start up that puzzle me. one was that the realtech suchmand such was not conn3cted for the device. (like you get if you go to boot manager and try to boot from something other than the disc)
    it also kind of click click clicks before it starts or just doesn't see it and tels me boot manager is missing.i am trying to instal on partition 1 which has about half the space and if i could i would name c drive. there is also a partition 2 which has the other half of the space which i would name d drive.

15. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    I am getting simular errors as it was before irql is not less or equal or 0124 or apc mismatch was the first one which was different. now it will getnthrough aboutm80% of the Windows is expanding files part then bsods
    can't make another blue screen log...sometime it starts gets to the pagemafter biosmwith the white blinking underline and just stays thert2hen says boot mnager is missing...

16. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I'm just guessing of course, but I'd say your problems run deeper than just a defective drive. Time to start swapping out parts (mobo, RAM, power supply and etc.) to try and narrow down what's going on.

Having no idea about compatibility of your parts, I'd guess at least some aren't.

17. bowery4

bowery4 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2014
    #37 bowery4, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    (OP)
    my machine is old from 2009, this is the 2nd part i have replaced, (battery about a year and a half ago? it seemed to work well) it may be the memory or the dvd drive or god forbid the motherboard (which i suppose i could replace but am not sure I am good at these things enough to do so). The memory being sold here for about 35usd makes me think that would be the only thing Iwould want to afford. The machine is just not worth enough to keep dumping money into it. Now it is at a point where things are untestable too.o_O

18. KurentEweser

KurentEweser MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Sounds like you are beating dead horse. Save that new 500gb hard drive for a new laptop.

19. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    0x0000000A = Usually CPU overclocked too much or requires more Vcore. Maybe bad Vcore caps.

0x000000D1= Driver issue.

20. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It's a shame about the drive not working out for you as HD Tune did report bad sectors. So you've now got a good drive now, but your problems going to either be memory or motherboard related.

You might be able to get some new RAM and if it doesn't work then return it? Just say that it was the wrong type.