Windows 7 Keys, Limits On Activation?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by golf7, Aug 17, 2009.

1. golf7

golf7 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2008
    I just received my MSDN subscription and I have a few questions about the keys that I am able to receive from MSDN.

1) How many RTL (Retail) keys can I generate per account?

2) How many simultaneous activations is each RTL (Retail) key good for?

3) How many simultaneous activations is each MAK (Multiple Activation Key) key good for?

My understanding is:
    My understanding is that you get 10 RTL (Retail) keys per product.
    Each RTL key is good for unlimited activations, but only 1 at a time (only one computer activated at a time)
    Each MAK key is good for 500 simultaneous activations (500 computers activated off the same key at the same time)

I was wondering if anyone could clear this up please as the MS help is not very helpful.

2. perry650

perry650 MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2009
    send me the keys and ill tell you lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. golf7

golf7 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2008
    not gonna send keys to anyone, just looking for information about the keys that I have

4. ifeife2

ifeife2 MDL Member

Apr 25, 2008
    1) i think MAK is not always 500
    2) i think you can have 10 simulataneous

5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    The RTL MAK (retail keys are pretty much a 1 activation MAK key, where KMS keys are more like the old Windows 5.x VOL keys and they don't have a limit on activations just the KMS restriction where it can be installed on a KMS server or the machine itself) keys can be activated up to 10 times online, and probably the same amount by phone. You can only have the key installed on 10 machines thus the 10 activations. However the reps over the phone will activate a key whenever you give them the activation code, you can take that how you want it.

An MAK key when activated should tell you how many activations you get on it, if there isn't a number in parenthesis then it is 1 activation.

6. Wonder.Wonder.Wonder

Jun 2, 2010
    MAK key can be 10000 or more

7. Wonder.Wonder.Wonder

Jun 2, 2010
    #8 Wonder.Wonder.Wonder, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    Check it by VAMT2

8. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Retail keys are 3 or 10 if they are Technet/MSND keys
    MAK keys are 500+ depending on the MAK key

You can use Vamt2 to check it if it is a MAK key but a retail key would not work with VAMT because VAMT is a volume tool and oviously retail keys are retail :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. evildave

evildave MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Technet/MSDN MAKs for everything new is 500, but you'll trip a flag for investigation on your account at about 120 for the Technet/MSDN Windows 7 Ent/ProVL MAK (this info comes from Microsoft people on the Technet forums). Of course you can just phone up and explain what you are doing (i.e. testing automated deployments) if you're not actually abusing the keys.

Some of the older MAKs are 100 (older server products).

Technet/MSDN retail-type Windows 7 keys are good for 10 activations on different hardware and about 25 phone activations each AFAIK.