WINDOWS 7 or WINDOWS XP on this PC?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Antigen, Oct 27, 2010.

1. sloozer

sloozer MDL Member

Apr 25, 2007
    go with Windows 7, if you need to XP for some odd reason install XP mode for windows 7.

2. DigitalJammer

DigitalJammer MDL Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks, and you are correct, 512Ram is "do-able" (My word) but slow. I was given a free junk computer and got some free ram that fit mine. Now I am runniing Win_64 bit with THREE (yup- 3) Gigs ram. Honestly three gigs seems to me to run 64 bit Win 7 fine, as long as you are not high-end gaming or runinng some intensive number crunchinng software. As of now I believe THREE GIGS IS FINE FOR WIN_7 as long as you keep your eye on how much RAM you are tie-ing up. 512K computers CAN run Windows Ultimate 32bit but a littl slow andy you must keep all programs out of your STARTUP (MSCONFIG) except for important ones such as firewalls, anti--virus programs etc- there is 0 - NO ROOM to add anything else with Windows Ultimate 32 with only 512K RAM. And never even think of installing Windows Ultiimate 7 64 Bit on such a system with so litle memory, OR you will learn just how slow Wiindows Virtual-Memory (Hard-Drive does the work that the RAM can not!) reallly can be! You could paint your home faster.

3. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    2GB is actually fine for general purpose use on either 64bit or 32bit... if you are going to be running intensive tasks such as photoshop, then you'd need more ram obviously
    the more ram the better for a system of course, but if you can only come up with 2GB RAM, then it'll be fine