Windows 7 Pro $19 for students

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by netguysc, Sep 8, 2009.

1. aseemb

aseemb MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
  2. xkovi

xkovi MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2007
    I think there are lot of ACM members, who have already downloaded W7 with keys...

Are you going to blacklist these keys or not?

3. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    #123 naseap, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
    I doubt they could legally blacklist the keys if they are actually eligible students. If Win 7 was available when they paid then I would think ACM would have to honor that. It is obvious ACM screwed up. I would think ACM would have to refund the money if they wanted to blacklist the keys. Bios mod is the only way. I still have a valid Vista Business key that I never used.

4. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. daraj

daraj MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    So win 7 was taken out from all?? (acm...ieee...) where can we still find win7 ?

6. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    That website made me laugh, what a load of bullsh*t.

1) Office was around before most other tools and it's stable and used allot because allot of people grown up around it.
    2) WGA checks licensing only.
    3) I guess they ignored the part where people have started putting Ubuntu onto some machines as standard.
    4) Windows 7 has less of an upgrade situation than Vista, heck the compatibility mode actually works and Windows 7 has XP mode for compatible PC's.
    5) MS got told they can't use .docx and are to stop selling Office.
    6) Learn to use better recording software.
    7) They put out a suitable amount of patches and they are giving an anti-virus out for free.

Really whoever wrote that website seems like a big Linux fan who just likes to say crap about Windows. Then it goes onto "donate $25 dollars, we'll send 50 more letters" and "Free software operating systems like GNU/Linux can do the same jobs as Windows".

Massive Linux troll website if you ask me :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #127 Daz, Sep 22, 2009
    I like Windows software and I also have Ubuntu installed on my system, but I just think it's silly when an undercover Linux geek goes out and bashes Microsoft based on inaccurate information.

So they put their software on their operating system, whats the issue with that -- they are features! What's next people making media center alternatives and then MS being unable to bundle Windows Media Center due to these companies whining? It's like me putting some feature onto my loader tool and then someone shouting out that I can't do that because it's not fair.

It's all just silly to me :p

8. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #128 Daz, Sep 22, 2009
    @ Hung-Kwan
    Not this page! :p I mean the windows7sins website, thats what made me laugh.

Almost every point isn't exactly true, as a developer moreso since I have a great understanding on how installation and WGA etc is handled.

I look at it as a developer and for me I think it's just silly that anyone could say they can't put something on their own operating system. I was always told that if somethings not working for you find an alternative, and there are alternatives but that doesn't mean the Windows features are faults just because someone may not like them features.

9. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Well yeah, that's all it is really just my opinion. Not everyone will see it the same way, it's the same with developing and trying to please everyone -- it just can't always be done :p

10. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Just ordered this following the links but the invoice so Home Premium not Pro, isn't this version handicapped to 16GB max memory?

11. user123

user123 MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2009
    I don't think so, they just want to make sales, why would they care if you pay the price what they have given to their product? If they find out that you aren't student, they'll just disable your account, by the time you have already taken all serials anyway, so service is useless at that point...

I get MSDNAA account from my school for free and I got 4 free Windows 7 Pro serials..

12. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    i got it home premium through my brother..

13. DRFP

DRFP MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Blind leading the blind

RTM is Ultimate also

Release to Manufacturing is what RTM is

RC is Release Candidate

LOL Noobs......................

Win 7 Pro is the flavor expected to be used by professionals like IT thats why Ultimate is not available :D

14. DRFP

DRFP MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    OMG " they just want to make sales" no its not about Sales its a membership benefit...........
    Its part of Microsoft in fact, and why would Microsoft sell 2 to 8 keys allowing you to run 7 on 2 to 8 computers for 2 dollars a copy when they get at least $49 a copy for the upgrade? If its about money then 400 dollars at least looks better then 2 dollars a piece right???

Sales that make no money makes no sense, think about it!

15. blackcobra

blackcobra MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2009
    Is windows 7 Enterprise = windows 2008 R2..?

16. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    I just got Windows 7 Professional for free from my college through my MSDNAA account...also got Visual Studio 2008 Professional as well. All with valid keys and all of them will work for as long as I wish to use the software...
    If you are in college, I would definitely recommend looking into obtaining a MSDNAA account, or at least look into accessing the software through your college's "computer" department. ;)

BTW, through MSDNAA I can also get Vista, Office 2007, and various other Microsoft software packages via free download. Keys are provided right on the download page for whatever you need... :)

P.S. I also have access to DreamSpark (free for all college students with a valid e-mail account with your college!) which has Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2, Visual Studio 2005, 2008 (SP1 as well) and a few other nice developer suites. You get "free" keys there as well (I got my Visual Studio 2008 Professional key there)...just click the "Get Key" button next to the "Download" button. :D

Good luck! :D

17. murdercitydevil

murdercitydevil MDL Member

Sep 7, 2009
    It seems like the best alternative to this offer is like what others said - go to your actual school's computer department and ask for access. I was one of the lucky ones to get my keys before the thing was shut down, but I did some research and found out that indeed my school has MSDN-AA memebership. Whether or not they let not-IT/compsci majors get access is unknown, but it never hurts to ask.

18. user123

user123 MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2009
    ACM is not Microsoft, so why would they care if Microsoft makes profit or not ...?

19. daraj

daraj MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    because they are hosting Microsoft's own copyrighted materials, so they have a contractual and binding agreements with Microsoft.

OCTOPUS :D