Windows 7 problem!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jason591, Jan 21, 2010.

1. jason591

jason591 MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2010
    I installed windows 7 using the loader but my problem is my HD was split into 2 with a smalller partition for windows. Windows was installed into this smaller partition and everything was fine. Then i noticed all my programes i installed were going into this partition and also anything i downloaded to my desktop (movies etc..) Before long i was getting the not enough space on your HD message and so had to move stuff to my bigger empty drive. Now i have to download everything to my bigger drive and cant do it directly to my desktop.
    Is there a way of changing this?
    thanks!!
    :eek:

2. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    It would have been easier just to resize the small partition:yes: rather than "moving" everything manually to the bigger one...

3. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Resizing should work, but on a side note : why do you want to download stuff to your desktop ?
    The better option is to download everything on a seperate partition or drive, so that, in case your os gets f** up and you get locked out, your data will be allready safe.
    You could perform a reinstall without having to worry about precious data getting lost.

I never store ANYTHING on my os partition, and never lost a single byte of stored data.

4. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    QFT! That's exactly what I've been doing, VERY useful indeed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    #6 ffcloud2000, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I actually move the Users directory right after install so everything i save gets stored on a second partition.. can use this little guide here to set it up :)

Code:
    After installing windows 7 you will be greeted with a user creation prompt press shift+f10 and you should get a cmd window up like in the image below

Copy the Users Profiles, Program Files And ProgramData Folders onto the Partition you want to use
    1. robocopy "C:\Users" "D:\Users" /E /COPYALL /XJ
    2. robocopy "C:\Program Files" "D:\Program Files" /E /COPYALL /XJ
    3. robocopy "C:\ProgramData" "D:\ProgramData" /E /COPYALL /XJ

Delete the old folders and create links For Program Files:
    1. rmdir "C:\Program Files" /S /Q
    2. mklink /J "C:\Program Files" "D:\Program Files"

For the User Profiles:
    1. rmdir "C:\users" /S /Q
    2. mklink /J "C:\users" "D:\users"

and lastly ProgramData:
    1. rmdir "C:\ProgramData" /S /Q
    2. mklink /J "C:\ProgramData" "D:\ProgramData"

If you have any permissions issues while deleting C:\ProgramData don't worry about them just try to delete it and make the links again after first reboot

Now open regedit simply by typing regedit on the cmd window

To change the program files path navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and edit the ProgramFilesDir and CommonFilesDir as needed

For the user profiles you'll need to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and again edit the paths as needed

Exit Regedit and the cmd window
    Continue to create your user
    Reboot your machine and you should be good to go