Windows 7 Professional Eligibility for Windows 10 Upgrade.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by armadillotuff, Jul 7, 2015.

1. armadillotuff

armadillotuff MDL Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks for your response, anyway I'm rewriting my procedures documents based on the ISO 10162 which I have installed and tested with all of the new software including all of my high school and college software and hope this gets resolved before the new school semester.

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    There is already build 10166 coming down the pipe.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. armadillotuff

armadillotuff MDL Member

Feb 2, 2013
    I'll stay with the 10162, as all of the software so far installed including Office 2013 works fine. Now I'll just wait until Microsoft release the RTM or I hear from them.

4. mockingbird

mockingbird MDL Member

Mar 13, 2011
    I haven't seen any definitively conclusive answer to this question:

Will a PC that is using one of the publicly available keys, and is activated via SLIC get a free upgrade? I ask because I have a Windows 7 PC here that was activated this way, and there's a Windows 10 icon in the taskbar saying the download is reserved and will immediately begin downloading as soon as it is released.

My question is, will it stop me half way through the install with some sort of error pertaining to the authenticity of Windows 7?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. armadillotuff

armadillotuff MDL Member

Feb 2, 2013
    My suggestion to you would be, backup your complete hard drive, "C" with something like acornis backup/restore first. Then try the free upgrade, if it works fine, otherwise you can restore your original system just like it was before the upgrade.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ mockingbird no one can answer that question you will have to wait till RTM.

7. armadillotuff

armadillotuff MDL Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Well it finally worked. I installed my Microsoft Refurbisher Windows 7 Pro SP1, then went and installed all my other software, and had to go thru over 100 updates with multiple shutdowns and restarts, and after all this the Microsoft Reserve for Windows 10 Icon showed up in the lower task bar.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  9. Taliseian

Taliseian MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Quick question...

I have an image that I used Windows Loader on. I'm contemplating buying a W7 key and going legit to get out of the Insiders Program.

Is there a way that I can uninstall Windows Loader and insert/activate my key or should I plan on doing a clean install and grab all the updates.

Thanks in advance....

T

10. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Re-run the Loader and 'Uninstall', activate with new key afterwards.

11. Rockfella

Rockfella MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    What if I want to install a fresh copy of 10 without updating? Can I do that? I hate "updating" anything! Never works fine! :death:

12. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    #32 SkOrPn, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Very interesting stuff here.

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate right after the WU update was released to reserve your copy. I installed Windows 7, activated and did some updates and got the Icon App almost instantly to reserve. I did NOT reserve at that time and instead went back to Windows 10 with a clean install and kept updating to 10162 until today.

TODAY I went back to the same exact Windows 7 SP1 install, activated, downloaded all the updates including the important ones, and NOTHING I do now will give me the upgrade icon app. Its as if my computer no longer qualifies. I have tried all known methods to force the app to run, but the icon never shows up. Been trying for several hours now and I'm ready to give up.

Do we only get the offer once and if we do not take it at that moment its then gone? :confused:

Intel 6 Core XEON
    12GB DDR3
    SSD's
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 fully updated (no more updates being offered)
    KB3035583 has been installed and uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times now.

Was the initial offer the only one we get?

13. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013
    You must have both KB2952664 and KB3035583 installed and auto updates enabled...;)

It's been my experience with some PC's it can take a few days before the Icon App offer shows up.
    Some patience and cold boot each day and the offer will appear...:biggrin:

14. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    #34 SkOrPn, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Thank you for the reply. I am sure I already have those installed, several times already, but will look right now again.

EDIT: LOL, well after 18 hours, and about 4 hours of actual work, several reboots, and several KB installs and uninstalls, it is finally working. I had both the mentioned KB's already installed but today WU was telling me I have KB3035583 ready to download and install, even though it was clearly listed in the history as "successfully installed". So I installed it AGAIN, this time NOT uninstalling the one that was already listed as installed...

So, after re-installing KB3035583 the 4th time in the last 18 hours it finally worked. I now have the Reserve notice. Thanks again.