windows 7 relocate bad sectors without os on laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by inmydreams, Dec 4, 2011.

1. inmydreams

inmydreams MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2010
    #1 inmydreams, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
    I got a laptop and it has some bad sectors on hdd. Hdd is empty and I would like to install windows 7. I tried to do that and install did hang during expanding windows file. I think it's because setup tried to write files on bad sector. Because windows 7 only does a quick format and no full format. Is it possible to do check disk before installing system? I want to relocate bad sectors before install system.

Sorry for my bad English.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  3. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Of course it's possible, sebus :eek:

Just boot from the Windows install DVD - hit Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Now type diskpart.
    Next, type the following, hitting Enter after each line:
    select disk 1
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=ntfs quick
    <-- use the quick option, DON'T try a full format! You'll see why with the next step.
    assign letter=Z <-- this is arbitrary, you could use any free drive letter but this is just easiest to use

OK, now that's all done, type exit to close Diskpart. Now type chkdsk /r Z: and be prepared to wait a few hours while the whole HD is scanned for errors and bad sectors are marked so they won't be used.

When it's done, you can reboot and start up the DVD again and go about installing Windows...should work fine now. Word of advice: if chkdsk finds too many errors (like hundreds or thousands of them), the HD is probably on its way out and won't last very long before failing completely.

Good luck!!!