Windows 7 RTM December Updates-Starforce

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Stunna, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Read through the forums and see how many people have had problems installing leaked updates. If people take the time to read the KB articles on each and every leaked update BEFORE they install it they will have much greater success. Also, many updates NEED to be isntalled in a given order to avoid problems and crashes.

Finally I stand by what I said, use automatic updates, use the safe updates sticky here at MDL and/or use the update download utility that people here have worked so hard on. Search Stunna's posts to see the type of crap he posts. If I see him peddling his crap I am going to say something about it, I might manage to warn someone and prevent them a world of grief.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #22 Dolorous Edd, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. craftbrewer

craftbrewer MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Agree too, I always do a M$ check before actually applying a patch like these.

For instance KB976325 in the list is an explorer patch for XP machines, NOT TO BE APPLIED

So yes one doesn't take it totally on face value, a little checking does wonders. So far I have found quite a few of these patches worthwhile to load onto my machine.

Craftbrewer

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    And that is why I blasted Stunna, for the updates that will harm someones computer. They guy is an idiot, been trolling here for ages posting things that are useless or worse than useless.

5. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Star Force

Last Time I installed something from star force my boot sector got messed up...

6. tomorrow

tomorrow MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2008
    Well if its for XP then why do you worry?.System automatically detects that its not a 6.1 update and cancels update.

Besides:

7. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    #27 Matrix Leader, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  8. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    #28 secr9tos, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    @SoLoR: What's the problem about my post? I agreed that I only download updates from WU ( except I have a specific problem to fix ) and yes I know that these posted here are hotfixes. They'll be included in the SP1 anyway. Oh and why do I have no clue about what I'm saying?? As far as I know every update distributed my m$ is digitally signed. Just check it yourself. I don't want to quarrel with you but I don't understand your reaction.

9. craftbrewer

craftbrewer MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Well for me after research I have installed about 1/3 of them. A little reserach shows there are REAL. BUT as many have said, may not be necessary.

For example, I dont need a patch so to compensate for Bangladesh daylight savings time (one of the quick fixes). The 1/3 I did install I considered necessary

Craftbrewer

10. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #30 George King, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    All updates from this topic aren´t "leaked" SweetSmile get it directly from Microsoft...

SweetSmile:
    Code:
    I got these update from Microsoft directly.
    I have heard a name called zukona,
    but do not know a method to contact him or her.

At first I did the post of these hotfix on a bbs in Japan.
    staforce downloaded it and posted in his blog.
    and alkykw downloaded it too and he (or she) uploaded it and did the post in MDL forum.

11. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    I think nobody should close the eyes and to install any leaked update without verify if it is applicable to his/her system. s**t happen every time that somebody tries to be smarter than the software manufacturer regarding to updates.

What's the reason to advance the things? Everything happens in its time, when there is a SP1 all of the updates will be published and applied to each system in a correct and safe way.

Sometimes seems that you improved something, to discover later that has to format your machine...:(

12. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #33 Dolorous Edd, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

The problem as I see it is the fact that many of these updates do not have KB articles that are accesable to us. I have searched for many of them and have found nothing. If one is suspect I would prefer not to install any of them.

I know you have done allot of work and respect that but IMHO people should not install these updates unless they can be verified AND they apply to their system AND will actually do some good for their system.

13. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    My mom used to ask me "if your friend jumped off a bridge wouled you do it too?" They answer was almost always no.

Just because you do it doesn't mean it is a good idea.

14. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #35 burfadel, Dec 14, 2009
    If you are unsure about installing them, don't. Simple :)

Microsoft seems to have three levels of updates:
    - General release updates, a relatively small percentage of all updates. These are available through Windowsupdate, covers security, any isssues that may relate to data loss, or major performance or compatibility issues.

- Hotfixes. Available only by request. These fix problems that are more related to individual scenerios, some which may actually affect many people but not in a way deemed detrimental or serious in most cases.

- Internal hotfixes. I'm not entirely sure about this one, but it seems in general only be given out if someone complains about a certain scenario to techsupport. Someone I know had this for Vista, I don't think the update was ever released but it fixed their problem (the fix was included in Vista SP2). Many of these end up being normal hotfixes eventually.

These update packs include all three categories. If you are concerned about installing them stick with the general release updates. They'll cover most things that may concern you. These update packs are released for people like myself who like to keep things 'phully updated' (phully is slang meaning totally to the max, since if you have installed all general release updated you are 'fully updated') :).

From all those that do like to have things 'phully updated', we're grateful that people make them available, especially the third category which most people can't get.

The only thing to consider is the actual update pack itself, as some are cumulative, some like this pack are from a certain time period only (such as December as listed in the title).

15. ioniancat21

ioniancat21 MDL Member

Apr 27, 2008
    What's the rush???

I never understood the principle behind this practice. What's the big deal about getting these updates in advance when they will surely become available on your regoins Windows Update soon enough. If it's zero-day threats that worry you, up-to-date antivirus and good security settings can combat most of this.

16. jsday187

jsday187 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2008
    #38 jsday187, Dec 14, 2009
    Thats such a cliche thing to say. Obviously it takes little common sense to tell the difference between jumping of a bridge and installing updates. These two thing HAVE NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH EACH OTHER.

Anyways what if your friend jumped off a bridge into some water and came out completely unharmed. You not jumping would make you look like little more than a pussy. Or what if you didnt jump off you would die a more gruesome death than a falling one. There are so many variables that could apply to the situation, and thats what great about living in the computer age, people are learning to see things in 24bit multicolor instead of just black and white.

Now on the contrary I WOULD suggest jumping off a bridge IF your friend did.

That way he can test the safety first of it instead of you.

Now "if your friend jumped off a bridge for no reason and died, would you follow?" is a far better question to use to determine if your child is suicidal or not.

17. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    that is why I said "The answer was almost always no". You figure out the implications of that.

18. jsday187

jsday187 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2008
    #40 jsday187, Dec 14, 2009
    Well if thats the analogy you want to use then fine.

Yes these updates have been installed, tested and found to be completely fine:

AKA yes your friend jumped off the bridge, BUT, he came out of it not only unscathed but also feeling like THE s**t, and to top it off he got some much needed cleaning that only water could provide. So a hundred more of your friends went and followed suit and had pretty much the same experience as the first guy.

So, its up to everyone else, to decide for themselves if they too want to follow their friends off this bridge. Beware though your experience doing it might be different than your friends.

Sometimes life s**ts on the odd guy out. It sucks but its true.

Thats the good thing about computers they offer you the ability to fix things, or even start from scratch.