Windows 7 Run Faster on Your Computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by appyserbs, Sep 29, 2011.

1. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Nice post burfadel, but one thing is incorrect: the pagefile is NOT deleted and recreated on every boot. If it's manually configured and set for a fixed size, it stays where it is.
    I went to the effort of making sure that 1. my pagefile is all in one contiguous piece and 2. it's actually at the end of my OS partition, not somewhere in the middle (I used MyDefrag with custom scripts to achieve this while booting from my Windows 7 setup DVD). And it stays there after every reboot :)

BTW, my personal strategy is a 'quick' defrag every few days as opposed to a full one, where everything is put into one big monolithic block at the start of the partition. Since I have a 250GB drive and my OS partition only uses the first 15GB (already the fastest place on the harddisk), that's a comparatively small slice of the entire disk. A 'quick' defrag will defragment fragmented files without bothering to fill the gaps between them. Very effective and works great. :D

2. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #22 burfadel, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
    About the pagefile, thats what I thought, but I have seen where even if it is set to a fixed size that it gets deleted and recreated. It could have been the case that the min and max sizes weren't set correctly or something... In any case, pagefile on an SSD isn't really the best idea, especially if its fixed because of constant read/writes to the same part of the SSD.

A quick defrag is better I think for drives too, particularly ones which aren't the system drive - but even that is 'too much' for SSD's,

3. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    yea,but is there a particular program/software to defrag a hard drive that is better than tha standard windows 7 default defragger or will the standard windows 7 defragger be just fine to use?

4. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    rule1: speed of computer is constant and depends of CPU clock.
    the time required to process a data depends on the amount of data that need to be processed. If the information in a logical series of less time is required for processing them, because they do not waste time on finding them and loading.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    #25 IronMaiden, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
    Agreed, I wasn't talking about defragging SSDs anyway (should've made that clearer). SSD defrag makes about as much sense as poking holes into Swiss cheese. :D
    I did read though that SSDs use wear leveling, basically cycling through their free blocks so that even pagefile writes (to what Windows sees as the same part of the disk) would go to ever-changing places within the SSD's flash memory. In fact, for that reason it's a good idea to have as much free space on an SSD drive as you can.

jayblok: Windows' internal defragger is AFAIK a very poor cut-down version of the commercial Diskeeper. My personal favorite replacement is Piriform's Defraggler. :)

6. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    yep,that's the one i use,thanks for the info IronMaiden:)