Windows 7 setup Copying Windows Files stuck at 0%

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by piercekalton, Apr 22, 2012.

1. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Windows 7 setup Copying Windows Files stuck at 0%

no hard drive activity

no DVD drive activity

setup is responding, I can hit X and cancel, the 3 activity dots are changing

it's been over 10 minutes, I will watch a show and see what happens

just wondering what the main causes of this are

2. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    well this board is an Asrock Dual 939 VSTA and it has 2 SATA 1.5Gb ports and 1 SATA 3Gb port (which they call SATA II)

using the "SATA II" port in "SATA" mode (AHCI?) the install would not get past 0%

I switched over to the SATA 1.5 port 1 and setup went quickly from Copying to Expanding.

so I assume there is some issue w/ the "SATA II" port on this particular board. I hope it is not a chipset issue.

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Maybe try IDE mode? If you're convinced your main board is not causing your problem, download a clean copy of Windows 7 via a link found on this forum, create a new installation disk and start over. It'd also be a good idea to wipe and format your drive if restarting from scratch. There are many programs to do that, I like GPartEd, but that are many more.

4. pvbers

pvbers MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    I had this problem when windows 7 was launched.
    My asrock system did not accept the windows 7 dvd.
    The problem was the bootfile on the dvd that was not compatile with with the asrock MB.
    I made a dvd with a different bif file (boot information file);you can find bif files on the internet via google.
    Use a program to make iso files, import the bif file (make dvd bootable) and put all the directories and files from the windows 7 dvd in the iso file.
    Write the iso file and burn it to a new dvd.
    Hope it works for you as it did for me.

5. raph1981

raph1981 MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2012
    you could also try making a bootable usb this would rule out any problems with disk or rom