Windows 7 Slow Download Speeds?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Epsilan, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Epsilan

Epsilan MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Yes on my home connection i'm wireless and use a router, the same on my friends network.

2. Epsilan

Epsilan MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Mr. Jinje, that is only for the ethernet adapter, I am using wireless.

3. Epsilan

Epsilan MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Where could I find that?

4. Epsilan

Epsilan MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    What is Usenet?

5. Epsilan

Epsilan MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Nope, doesn't work.

6. Epsilan

Epsilan MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Can somebody please help, I can't do anything with this extremely slow internet

7. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    can only say what I recommended previously made my connection 3x times faster and comparable to vista

8. Epsilan

Epsilan MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Yes but I asked you twice, how do you enable those two things!? Where do you find them??

9. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #29 HotCarl, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    Hmmm. I have a 6Mbit connection and I see no degradation of speed. If anything, my file transfers and downloads over then network are faster than before. That is weird that you notice a slowdown... :confused:

I was downloading a torrent off of Demonoid yesterday at over 2Mbit (I was pulling 3Mbit total with all my torrents combined)...so I dont see what you are experiencing. Hope you figure it out though. :)

That is odd that you notice a slowdown...

EDIT: I notice that you are using wireless...that may be your problem. Is it wireless g or n? (IMHO, wireless is a horrible type of connection if you are trying to get as much bandwidth as possible out of your network. I have a wireless-n router and never use the wireless because it is slooooowwww compared to a wired connection)

EDIT2: I would recommend trying a wired connection, temporarily, to see if you get your bandwidth back, and narrow down the problem...

EDIT3: For future reference, please try to refrain from making multiple threads on the same topic. It is not necessary and wastes space on the forum. :)

Attached Files:

10. Epsilan

Epsilan MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    It's wireless b/g

11. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #31 HotCarl, Aug 30, 2009
    You have an older wireless router then... That may be your problem. Try running a CAT-5 cable from the router to your PC and then run a speed test. I would bet that it is your older wireless router that is causing the slowdown. If there is no difference, connect your PC right to your modem and try the speed test again. Maybe your router is going bad. I have gone through 3 routers in the last 4 years... That's why I have a new router now :p

12. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    #32 KotaXor, Aug 30, 2009
    Will increasing the "Half open connection limited" for torrent download work in Windows 7?

13. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    He could try to increase is concurrent connections limit... But I would test the router first like I told him to, to be sure that his wireless connection (or possibly the whole router) is not going bad. He needs to do some tests to narrow down the problem and find the source...

14. -HITMAN-

-HITMAN- MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    No, because win7's half open connections are now set at unlimited by default, older OS's were limited to 10, Ms changed it in win7.

15. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    netsh int tcp show global

then do a set for dca=enabled and set congestion control to ctcp

netsh int tcp should show you the options from memory