Windows 7 Slow Speeds?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Epsilan, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Epsilan

Epsilan MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Yeah i'm gonna run a ethernet cable now, but I also have another problem with my brother's computer, when I connect directly from the modem to the PC using a ethernet cable it still has huge lag, and whenever his computer is connected to our network the internet slows down even more, I have a friend who's a network guy and he says there is some malicious software on my brother's PC that is taking most of the bandwith which is 3Mbps and he said that kind of speed is very easy to clog up. So not only do I have to get an ethernet cable to make windows 7 run smooth I have to fix my bro's computer or else I have to deal with the lag. I do not think it is the router's problem but Windows 7 problem with old Wifi (b/g) and it's compatibility with it because I download things and browse normally on Vista. I'm coming home on Sunday and I will try to see if it lags if I connect from the router to the laptop wired because I haven't tried that but I know wired to the modem works fine so I'm guessing if wired to router doesn't work than the router is burnt out.

2. footgay

footgay MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I just thought that he should do that first, because there's no cost on that. While using wired connection will absolutely solve his problem, it does have a cost.

3. Epsilan

Epsilan MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Also, my WiFi adapter has no drivers for Windows 7, I checked today and tried to install the ones for Vista, the attempt was unsuccessful.

4. Epsilan

Epsilan MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Wired connection has no cost, upgrading the router for 80$ and a 60$ adapter definitely has a cost.

5. footgay

footgay MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Wired cable does have a cost - -. And was what I was talking about is not upgrading it, just updating the 'driver'.

6. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    It sounds as though you have multiple issues. If I were you, I would start with the simplest method of resolving the problem with the lowest cost. Since you have no new drivers, I would recommend a wired connection. The second issue with your brothers PC is a whole other issue. If I were your brother, I would backup all the stuff that he wants to save on his PC (burn it to CD/DVD or something) and nuke his harddrive, and do a fresh install of Windows, and reinstall his software/games after. It is probably safe to assume that your brother has not reinstalled his operating system in some time, so he is probably due anyway. He may not want to reinstall, but if he does, his PC will run faster, so you can tell him that :p... Another option would be to install a software firewall on your brothers PC and block all traffic incoming/outgoing, then specifically enable certain connections from certain programs like games and whatnot. It may slow your brothers PC a little, but it will help your connection out if malware on your bro's PC is slowing your connection down...I would nuke the HD and reinstall though if I were your brother... Just a thought.

7. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #27 HotCarl, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    What cost? He already has a cable he says... I fail to see your point. The only cost involved is his time in running the cable into his room... What? Like 5 minutes? :)

EDIT: I guess he could get fancy and run it along the wall base trim, under the carpet, like I did (then it would take more time, and I charge $25/hour :p)...but it is not necessary. Enlighten me to these other costs please. :)

8. footgay

footgay MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Sorry, I just didn't know he already has a cable - -.

9. Epsilan

Epsilan MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Infact, he managed to pickup a nasty virus a couple weeks back and I had to reinstall windows. Is it safe to do it again?

10. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #30 HotCarl, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    You can reinstall Windows as many times as you want, heh. If I were your brother, I would backup the files he wants to keep onto a DVD (or USB drive if you have a big enough one), then create a USB boot disk (on a different USB stick), boot the USB bootdisk and wipe the hard drive, then pop the Windows disk into the DVD drive and do a fresh install. After you do a fresh install, I would go straight to the internet and download a free antivirus program (like AVG or something) and install it. You can scan the HD to be sure, but if you wiped it, then you should be safe. You just want the anti-virus there, and updated, so that when you copy the backup files off the DVD back to his PC, it will alert you if any are infected...

Then you can install whatever games/apps he wants back...on his clean system...

EDIT: Hope that is helpful. I have to go shopping with my girl now and will be gone for a while, so if you have anymore questions, hopefully someone else here that is knowledgeable can aid you. Good luck bro. :)

11. Epsilan

Epsilan MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Howdo you create a USB boot disk?