Windows 7 slow to shutdown and startup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by passion4tech, Oct 16, 2016.

1. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    My computer has regressed over time in performance. Maybe it's because I have installed a lot of programs I'm not sure but the os is slow to shut down. I get message Waiting for background programs to close and it was explorer.exe. As matter fact explorer.exe is really causing issues in os. Crashing frequently, hogging resources, its frustrating! What is wrong with the os? I know Windows 7 is not perfect os but is this normal?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    Regressed is not right word sorry. Actually windows 7 performs reasonably well it's just when it starts up or shutdowns it takes more time now then ever before. I guess it's normal when I first installed the os it started up and shutdown in no time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Crime[Scene]

Crime[Scene] MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2016
    "sfc /scannow" from elevated command prompt to verify system files.

How many apps. in the system tray? (I know on shutdown my torrent client takes a bit).

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Do not forget this a little thing - namely, the default is set to

• The waiting time for processes to end - 15 sec
    • The waiting time for serviceses to stop - 15 sec
    • Recommended is about 5 seconds, not more. Sometimes even have been recommended no more than 3 seconds.
    Also

• Disable Updating Group Policy During Startup
    • Windows logging to system crash
    • Cancel Disk Check when Windows starts, You can do it manually or set to delayed start

5. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    Good News everyone. I found out the culprit that was slowing down the os. It was this strange file called sqlwriter.exe. It was located in roaming app data folder and I deleted it. Since I deleted the file the os is noticeably faster. It did not appear to be a virus, it was some file from Microsoft that somehow got on my computer perhaps through windows update I guess. Glad I solved issue :)

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    It allows for backup and restore applications to operate in the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) framework. Hopefully you won't need that.

7. compstuff

compstuff MDL Senior Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Nice tip...

I found the WaitToKillServiceTimeout reg entry but what is the other one?