Windows 7 support will end on January 14, 2020

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by AsaadSoft, Sep 28, 2018.

1. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

What amazing nonsense....

First you tell us, that there is an alternative, which is as simple to install and use and which there is not... and then you tell people in a Win7 thread, that they ought to "Just say no!" to Win10 ???

In the real world there seems to be simply nothing better yet, than Win7. As there happens to be no better usable browser than Firefox.
    And like all corporations these people work for corporations, they do not make products for YOU, they make them to make a profit.

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #63 Joe C, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    No Windows 10 is not made for myself and as far as I am concerned, nobody else should use it either. If we tell M$ we not going to accept this beta bull crap of an o.s. then M$ will have to change or we find something better.
    Where do you see me stating that in this thread?.......
    Although I do like Firefox, I can't recall ever making anything about it in this place at all. Either you are confusing me with someone else or you did not listen to those that warned you about taking cheap drugs

Edit: Tom, I am aware that you are a Windows fan boy, and I can not help it if you feel offended

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. W7U

W7U MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2017
    @Joe C, to be honest I’d really love to say no to Windows 10 due to the update debacle, but it is becoming harder due to the impending end of life of Windows 7 and lack of support for the i7 8700K, none of which I have no control over. Fortunately macOS is my main OS these days, due to regular mobility problems, but I still use a lot of Windows-only software when it’s a good day.

Now, I know Blender as an alternative to 3ds Max, but I don't think there are good employment prospects with that: either that or I have fallen behind again.:facepalm:

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #65 Joe C, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    ReactOS looks like it could be a serious contender as a Windows replacement.
    If they can get it together within the next year, I'll be interested in using it to replace my Windows 7.
    Microsoft does not have much in the way of serious competition, Which is why I believe they think they can get away with the behavior they have had. If another viable os became available that could compete, then M$ would have to change it's attitude towards is users and get more serious about it's software and updates

6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Maybe you should not answer posts that obviously you seem not to be able to understand? I did point out that this the Win7 thread, and that it is not a convincing proof of awareness to tell people here who obviously use Win7: "Just say NO to Win10!"

"If we tell M$ we not going to accept this beta bull crap..." WE? Really? WE? This planet is inhabited by 90% retards who jumped at Win10 for one single reason only: because it was free. If you and I accept this beta bull crap is of no interest to M$... you might always keep that in mind.... there happens to be a real world outside your wishful thinking.

As far as Firefox goes... it is in the same category as Win7.... Both are the best in their category, and if actual logic would not be your weakest point, you would understand that a statement like that does not mean they are good "Good". It simply means amongst existing OSs and browsers, they are both the least bad ones, the best of the bunch... And if you think that makes me a Fan-Boy, at best qualifies you in a category which I better not mention, as I might get banned.

7. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @Joe C - The key phrase here is "it could be". Please keep in mind that ReactOS still has a very long way to go. I visited their website yesterday and came away thinking one of the biggest hurdles they face is hardware drivers. They've in the process of testing a lot of the existing WinXP/Win7 drivers and the results are mixed at best. Take graphics cards as an example. For the most part, Nvidia cards seem to fare pretty well with their existing Windows drivers. AMD/ATI devices seem to be hit and miss. And the results for Intel graphics are downright abysmal, nearly next to nothing works.

Developing an OS from scratch is a monumental effort in itself. But if you cannot use a lot of the existing Windows hardware drivers, what do you do? Create them from scratch as well? The OEMs certainly won't help you, they're joined at the hip with Microsoft and have nothing to gain from it. Maybe you can get some of the people in the Linux community to help, but even so, that would be a daunting task, much larger in scope than developing the OS itself.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I know, I can recall years ago Linux had major problems with what was then ATI drivers before AMD bought it out. They do not like to open their source code. So any hardware that makes their driver source code closed and locked will be an issue for any open source os.

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I down loaded a live boot cd earlier today and I'll check it out on an older pc I've got here. Eventually Linux did get drivers for ATI/AMD cards so possibly within the next year ReactOS may have this type of breakthrough too

10. ma.prezentalok

ma.prezentalok MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Actually I'm planning to go with linux, and use it with customized offline xp/w7 guests in unity mode (if i need a win32 app) with vmware workstation linux version.
    XP especially has low system requirements as overhead, but w7 guest can be optimized too using vmware guides. If Ms can put a whole linux kernel into its spyware trying to contain it, I guess it should be the other way around, especially with today's hardware. I used to always go with the newest windows version, but w7 is the last windows version that doesn't make me sick.

11. NST_Adventure

NST_Adventure MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2019
  12. NST_Adventure

NST_Adventure MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2019
  13. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    It seems Simplix keeps it patching for some more time!

Thanks. ...

14. dnt282020

dnt282020 MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2020
    #76 dnt282020, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2020
  15. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    I believe you will find that homebrew ISO's are not welcome at MDL.

16. 3zero3

3zero3 MDL Senior Member

Apr 26, 2012
    It is not about welcome or not, it is about pure garbage.

17. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    Garbage or not, forum rules do not allow homebrew. I rather suspected that a forum mod would edit the post and wanted to give him/her a heads up as to why.