Windows 7 System Image, also includes Second Partition !?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BMW, May 4, 2011.

1. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    #1 BMW, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    when I select Create System Image in Windows 7,

it selects both my C & D partitions...

C has Windows 7 Ultimate OS

D has only video / audio files

both C & D are partitions on a single HDD

there is no option to de-select D drive image ....
    which is strange & consumes unnecessary space on my external backup drive

Another Question :: if I don't select system image, and instead 'backup' my entire C drive,
    can it be restored as a fully functional OS on a formatted drive ? ...or can only a system image do that ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE :: extra info as asked my members :

Yup in Disk Management , Windows 7 'C' drive is the last partition shown, with 'D' drive the partition before it

Custom Built PC ...

HISTORY

D had XP (was called C at that time...years ago ! )

C had Vista Ultimate

then had Upgraded from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate

and formatted the D drive, to use as a regular NTFS parition to store media files...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Do you supposed this could happen if he created D: not as a primary partition but mounted it as an empty NTFS folder? I've only done that once but the new partition showed up as a folder on C: with the name I chose for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    yeah, and I seem to remember a partition that's mounted as a folder shows a green border in Disk Management. It's been a long time.

4. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    #4 BMW, May 4, 2011
    (OP)
    Yup , Windows 7 'C' drive is the last partition shown, with 'D' drive the partition before it

Custom Built PC ...

HISTORY

D had XP (was called C at that time...years ago ! )

C had Vista Ultimate

then had Upgraded from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate

and formatted the D drive, to use as a regular NTFS parition to store media files...

5. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    #5 BMW, May 4, 2011
    (OP)
    but D drive was formatted before upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista ....so how come it's still an issue ? :/

C : 70.9 GB ... D : 78.1 GB

I have both Acronis 2011 & Ghost v15 setup ...but used Windows 7 in-built backup application,
    as it seemed the most reliable since it's made by Microsoft itself :p ...I'm actually scared of Norton products :p ...and Acronis ratings were decent on Cnet...

6. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    I still didn't understand, why my Windows 7 on C ..points to D ...

if that's the case, then it should've backed up only the D, to which it points .... not the C , which it thinks is D ...

I wish there was some sort of shortcut, like an app that only changes the BootLog file, which the system is referring to...
    where it thinks C is D ...and D is C...

if the moving thing is the only solution, I guess I'll wait it out ....and then simply move it on a C only SSD that I plan to buy some day, hopefully...

which will have only 1 ...C partition ...

7. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    I guess then I'll wait it out ...and move the system image of C , on a new SSD when I buy it eventually...

Thanks for all the help, mates :)

8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @BMW,

When/If you get your SSD, don't 'Move' your Windows 7 install over to it.
    HDD's and SSD's work differently at a low level and use different technics to store your data.
    You'd be better off doing a clean install once you get your new SSD.

You should do this anyway when your changing major components.
    Backup youe files, do a clean install, then restore your files, :)

@acrsn,

Can Windows recovery see/use Acronis backup images ?

9. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    #10 BMW, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks a lot, Acrsn & ZaForD :D

I'm delighted to know members like yall still exist in the world ;)

Really hoping SSD Prices crash soon :rolleyes:

10. bethel95

bethel95 MDL Novice

May 29, 2011
    Another way to create C: disk image

It's probable that the reason you're getting both C: and D: in the disk image is that Windows is creating a "system image" (i.e., an image of everything that impacts on Windows itself) and that it's seeing D: as somehow connected to its functioning. I've had this same problem myself.

My solution (instead of creating a system image in conjunction with my file-by-file backup) has been to set up a Task Scheduler job to create the C: disk image on a schedule (which also allows me to use a different schedule than my D: file backup).

Use TS to run the following program: wbadmin

Use these arguments: start backup -backupTarget:X: -include:C: -quiet

Where "X:" is replaced by your backup drive's letter.

Start in: C:\Windows\system32

This will create a disk image of just C: on your backup drive (using Windows' standard folder structure for image backups, of course).