Windows 7: the new XP?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Juniper Phoenix, Jun 3, 2016.

?

Is 7 going to be the new XP?

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    86.1%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. Linux / Mac OS / DOS is better

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Sorry, I misunderstood that. About the more performance.... when I click the button on my computer, it takes under ten seconds, until everything incl. Firefox is off and running, I am a simple user: one SSD and and i5....

2. jadinolf

jadinolf MDL Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Well, I'm 82 years old so chances are I won't have to worry about that.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. atoxique

atoxique MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2016
    Wouldn't that be piracy though? (Not that anyone really cares considering MDL is the home of both Windows Loader and the MS Toolkit, as well as numerous download links for various ISOs of Windows...:cool:)

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @sl1fka: You'd be surprised as to how many IT professionals visit MDL. :)

For them, it's not piracy, because their clients have Volume licenses.

For the rest of us, yeah...it might be piracy.

Or is Windows 7 becoming Abandonware. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Abandonware is not necessarily Freeware ... :biggrin:

6. explorer11

explorer11 MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2015
    #26 explorer11, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    I think many will continue to use Win 7 many years from now, like it happened with XP. I think that many people who do not need a new computer, will probably stay with Windows 7. Because if they don't use hardware that is very new, then they will have many driver issues with Windows 10 and/or 8.1.

Here are some issues I have with Win 10, that do not exist with Win 7:
    - on a laptop with ivy bridge cpu, with Win 10, the realtek audio driver has issues (volume jumps to 100% after exiting full screen in firefox video player); but with Win 7, those issues do not exist; almost one year has passed since Win 10 was released, and Realtek did not release an audio driver for Win 10 with those issues fixed;
    - on a desktop with Radeon HD 5450, with Win 10, the latest stable (not beta) gpu driver causes the computer to freeze randomly; also, it randomly causes the inability for the video signal to turn on, after it was turned off because 15 minutes passed since the pc was idle; but with Win 7, on the same pc, on the same video card, the gpu driver never causes such issues; almost a year has passed since Win 10 was released, and AMD did not solve these issues; and the Radeon HD 5450 with 1 GB DDR3 from Sapphire is still being sold now in june 2016, at online stores, after almost a year after Win 10 was released; so all people who use this gpu now in june 2016, or buys this gpu in june 2016 from an online store, will be forced to use Win 7 and to not upgrade to Win 10;
    - I use Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200, and in Win 10, the Caps Lock led indicator turns off randomly (even after I unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"); but this never happens when I'm in Win 7; in Win 7, when caps lock is on, the led indicator for caps lock is tuned on permanenlty, until I turn off caps lock;
    - in Win 10, entering full screen in MPC-HC by pressing Right Alt + Enter, sometimes doesn't work; in Win 7 this always works.

7. vebuntu

vebuntu MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2013
    I am staying with windows 7 till my computer dies which is 5 years old pc.Windows 7 is pretty stable to me as the last time i installed it was back in 2013 and it's still running till this day.wish they could bring back the older updater for windows 10 or at least to control the settings as not everyone is having a great connection.

8. Stewox

Stewox MDL Junior Member

Nov 22, 2013
    #28 Stewox, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #29 Joe C, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    I'm keeping 7 for the next 3-1/2 yrs. I hope something changes from now until then with whatever they have in 2020, or I'll be learning much more about some of the *nix distro's in the future
    I value my privacy and I'll try to keep it, sorry Satya but you can not do that to me
    Eventually, like XP, Windows 7 will become extinct because software manufacture's will stop support too. Sure there's a few XP users out their but they no longer get much support from hardly anybody today