Windows 7 Theme & Resource Mods

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by genuine555, Nov 16, 2009.

1. hellohello

hellohello MDL Junior Member

May 10, 2007
    Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me the resource number to be edited for the windows explorer address bar (active,hover,inactive) and also the breadcrumb?

I been looking around, I found some tutorial but it's for vista and it appears has been changed in widows 7.

Thank you.

2. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    In some of my Visual Styles it would be 948 or 952
    If you use Style Builder 1.5 then check Address, Breadcrumb & Search > Address > AddressBand > Basic > AddressBand > <1>

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hellohello

May 10, 2007
  4. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    More images and arrows are located at;

Address, Breadcrumb & Search > Breadcrumb > Aero > Normal > Inactive Crumbs > SplitButtonDropDown
    Address, Breadcrumb & Search > Breadcrumb > Basic > Normal > Overflow Active > <1>
    Address, Breadcrumb & Search > Breadcrumb > Aero > Max > Inactive Crumbs > SplitButtonDropDown
    Address, Breadcrumb & Search > Breadcrumb > Basic > Normal > Active Crumbs > Button
    Address, Breadcrumb & Search > Breadcrumb > Basic > Normal > Active Crumbs > SplitButton
    Address, Breadcrumb & Search > Breadcrumb > Basic > Normal > Active Crumbs > SplitButtonDropDown
    Address, Breadcrumb & Search > Breadcrumb > Basic > Normal > InActive Crumbs > SplitButtonDropDown
    Address, Breadcrumb & Search > Breadcrumb > Basic > Max > InActive Crumbs > SplitButtonDropDown
    Address, Breadcrumbs & Search > Address > Go Toolbar > Basic > Normal > Active > Button
    Address, Breadcrumb & Search > Address > Go Toolbar > Basic > Normal > InActive > Button

6. hellohello

May 10, 2007
    Found it, it is actually breadcrumb > basic > active crumb > splitbutton

My goodness, spent so many hours just for this lol

Initially, I want to realign the right click menu in firefox because it appears broken, but I don't think I will, looking at how much time spent just to edit one.

Thank you dareckibmw

7. Elmer BeFuddled

Elmer BeFuddled MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2010
    #287 Elmer BeFuddled, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    This isn't particularly Windows 7 specific but it is a very useful little mod.
    How many times have you gone to rename a file/folder, only for it to disappear as you've clicked Delete instead of Rename. If you're anything like me, quite often!
    Open your shell32.dll.mui (shell32.dll in XP, Don't know Vista) with ResHack or a.n.other resource modifier. Navigate down to Menu item # 210. Replace the default menuex table:
    Code:
    210 MENUEX
    LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
    {
    POPUP "", 0, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
    {
    MENUITEM "Cu&t", 24, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Copy", 25, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Paste", 26, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "", 65535, MFT_SEPARATOR, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Create &Shortcut", 16, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Delete", 17, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Rena&me", 18, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    }
    }

With this modified menuex table:
    Code:
    210 MENUEX
    LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
    {
    POPUP "", 0, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
    {
    MENUITEM "Cu&t", 24, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Copy", 25, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Paste", 26, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Rena&me", 18, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Create &Shortcut", 16, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Delete", 17, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    }
    }

This will put Delete between its own two separators just above the Properties context entry. You can of course play about with the separators/positions to your hearts content.
    Sadly I'm unable to post a screenie at the moment (low post count), but trust me, it looks a lot more logical than the default set up!

8. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
  9. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
    hey.. what do you guys use to edit .dll ?
    i downloaded an ICON set, but the .dll's are for SP1 Beta ?
    i tried opening with Restorator, and i can see which images were edited, but it says "Corrupted"?

i believe the author's tool is not compatible with Restorator.
    I also tried Resource Hacker, and even worse.

Im trying to extract the images, and apply it to SP1 .dlls.
    Thanks guys.

10. ghazalo

ghazalo MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2011
    that was a perfect and nice job many thanks

can i ask how i can shift the shut down button to the right a little bet see the attach pic?

Attached Files:

11. Chrissyboy101

Chrissyboy101 MDL Novice

May 16, 2011
    I'm in imageres.dll with restorator, but I have no clue how to reassign an icon?
    Thanks in advance,
    Chrissyboy101 :)

12. error441

error441 MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2012
    #292 error441, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    start menu scroll bar color

Anybody tell me how to mod the start menu scroll bar color [see image below]
    scrsht.jpg
    i have tried to edit these 2 png"s 795 and 756 in image\msstyles. {795 changes all programs back ground and the programs without a sub menu on hover} but not the programs with a sub menu.. looking to change both on scroll or hover to red also anyway to change just the font color in this menu only?
    795.png
    795.png
    756.png
    756.png

13. error441

error441 MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2012
    bump..... nobody got any ideas

14. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    Never saw this post, very useful, thanks :D

15. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    As far as I can tell, Start menu submenus are exactly that - ordinary Windows submenus - so they use system colours.

I doubt you could even hook GetSysColor or anything like that to change them, because they don't look owner-drawn to me - that is, USER is completely responsible for drawing those submenus - EXPLORER.EXE itself has no input into how they're drawn.

But if I'm wrong, you may be able to hook the GDI functions for getting (system) colours and change them as EXPLORER.EXE requests them. But this is far more complex and elaborate than a simple resource edit. :(

16. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    me too. thnx for bumping it. awesome thread. :worthy:

17. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
  18. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    Hello

I would like to patch .dll for themes (uxtheme.dll) in Offline (with an image of Windows 7 mounted)

Is that possible?
    As UniversalThemePatcher made ​​for windows installed

Thanks

19. vasu001

vasu001 MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2013
    dude link of blueprogressbar.rar or others are not working at all.........

20. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Lol, first time since long that I've been around here, so fate must have it that I update those link for you guys, since they apparently still have their use...

I'll have them back up soon. :D