Windows 7 Theme & Resource Mods

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by genuine555, Nov 16, 2009.

1. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    @gen555: good post, thx:)

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Thanx, bro :)
    Nice to see the appreciation.

3. Greg S

Greg S MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    I'm failing to understand this,lol. I can do the hex edit no problem. Problem is, where? Vista Style Builder is writing to something to retain xx value. Where would VSB write to and save? Thanks for the help and your tutorial on the first post has for me been the most easy to understand that I've run up on.

4. Pliskin

Pliskin MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Yeah, another nice tweaks are added ...!

This thread should become sticky!

ME <---- For stick this thread!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Yep. You are right about VSB. It writes additional hex values inside the custom msstyles and shellstyle.dll files.

Before you open VSB, you need to duplicate this tree structure in "c:\windows\resources\themes\" (for example I name it aeroX) :

aeroX\aeroX.msstyles
    aeroX\shell\normalcolor\shellstyle.dll

you can copy the tree structure and shellstyle.dll from the default aero theme. When done in VSB, the custom msstyles gets saved like above depicted.

In VSB, the locations are pretty straightforward if you get used to it.

NOTE : If you can do the hexes, you are welcome to post them in this thread. For the "All Programs" background, I think you would need to add some values inside aero.msstyles.

btw, thanx for the responses. Much appreciated :)

Gen555

6. Greg S

Greg S MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    OK, looks like I'm gonna have to do some intense studying of the shellstyle.dll,lol. Either that or do the old Firefox trial and error method of using the color red on all instances of FF FF FF until I find the right one. I'm trying to avoid shelling out the bucks for VSB just for this one spot although I may have too.

7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I added the VSB method for the start menu background to the first post (mod #15), for the ones who find it usefull.

Also added a guide for changing the explorer folderband and text color (mod #20).
    For the text color, pls report back if it doesn't work.

Cheers

Gen555

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I added a nice mod for having a fully transparent Start Menu (mod #21).
    That will eliminate the background issue in mod #16.

I'm glad you like the mods, Pliskin.
    Though if the moderators felt this could be stickied, it would have allready.
    Not enough interest in these things...
    For now I will continue these none the less, cause I know it is of use to some,
    and if I have a new find, why not just share it...

9. ozzyboy

ozzyboy MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Hi again!!

Not sticked ...yet, BUT always you can find it on my signature :D
    Nice, awesome, collection...keep working and enjoy us with new "discoveries". :cool:

10. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Hi

and it is a neat signature indeed.
    Thanx for the support :)

11. Greg S

Greg S MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
  12. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #73 genuine555, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  13. Greg S

Greg S MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    #74 Greg S, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    There is no settings.ini ? There has to be. Then it will be in E:\Users\Seven\AppData\Roaming\VistaStyleBuilder for you. So check if you have that line in settings.ini

If it's there, you have 1.5, if it's not, you have 1.4 and need to add that line.

Maybe your problems are because you have your userfolders on another drive...
    You should ask in the forums. They can definitely help you get the app working properly. But try the above first. I couldn't get it working either, untill I added the "FirstImageID=508" line.

15. Greg S

Greg S MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    I have version 1.5. Do I need to remove this FirstImageId=1 as mentioned in your tut?

16. Greg S

Greg S MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2009
    OK, gen55. It's now working. I changed the ini file from =1 to =508. Thanks!!

17. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    If it says FirstImageID=1
    you should change it to FirstImageID=508

Then try VSB, open an existing style (i.e. aero.msstyles) and change some stuff, like type "USERPICTURE:BOOL" in search field in the top right (properties search), and uncheck both checkboxes. It will remove the userpicture from startmenu.

Now click test, and look in startmenu if the pic is gone. If it's gone, you can save the style (always save as a new file).

-> do you have the proper tree structure duplicated in the themes folder ?
    I mentioned that in one of my previous posts...otherwise VSB doesn't work.

18. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Ok. Glad it works. Now have some fun with it. It will take some time though, cause at first it looks a bit overwhelming.

Greetz

Gen

19. searchengine

searchengine Guest

@Greg S ...

I have been experimenting with Vista Stylebuilder v1.5 and have found it very good ... although it does take a little time to get the hang of it.

There is no instructions with it, so the homepage forum, and google is your best bet to finding tips and tricks ... the application has a handy search bar function that lets you type say "progress" and it would then highlight progress tree that would help you for example identify progress bar locations within the stylefile.

The homepage forum also has a stylehacks section, that you may find files you can download for your application to apply specific functions automatically.

You can also compare 2 stylefiles to see differences allowing you to know where to make modifications to a particular msstyle file .... it is an exe located in your application program folder named "DiffTool" ...double click that and point it to 2 msstyles to compare...it will then produce a text file detailing differences and locations of differences.

Good luck ... just trial and error till you get a result. :)

btw ... this is a very nice thread for themeing ;)